Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Over watered AND underwatered? 6 years 3 months ago #37137

• Lezbehonest
  • Lezbehonest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
My Ficus brutt davyi nana has both yellow leaves and dry leaves. I watered it well in the beginning until I noticed some leaves turning yellow and falling off. After some research I determined it was over watered so I cut way back and only watered it when the soil was dry. Then after about a week and a half some of the healthy green leaves began drying out. I figured I has been watering to sparsely and watered it well. Now it is looking more yellow and sickly again without the dry leaves seeming to improve. I don't know what I have done wrong. I planted it in well draining soil, however the soil the roots were in when I got it seems to hold onto moisture well. I tried to carefully breakup the root ball when I planted it but that does not seem to have helped any. What do I do?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Over watered AND underwatered? 6 years 3 months ago #37138

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Seems like you have fallen in the trap that many who do not know how to care for plants do. Too much, too quick. Only too little patience.

Never report a sick plant unless absolutely needed for the survival.
Trimming? Why

Give the plant the care it needs, make sure it sits in a well lit, warm area ( not on top of a heater or airco vent) and give it time.

And check for spiider myte and thrips.

Over watered AND underwatered? 6 years 2 months ago #37150

• Lezbehonest
  • Lezbehonest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks for the reply,
I didn't so much repot it as take it out of the little plastic container it came in. It was so small and tightly packed I though it necessary. It did seem healthy though.

In the beginning I assumed that, because it was a tropical plant, it would like to be well watered. I tried to let the soil dry to about the first cm or so as seemed to be the recommendation of most potted plants. It took quite a long for the soil to dry any; after a couple of days the original soil still seemed wet. It is quite humid here even indoors so it takes forever for anything to dry. While I figure out how much water it needs, is it safer to overwater a bit or underwater?

The window (south facing) it is in is full of other plants that don't seem to get too cold. Should I could move it across the room where its a little more warm but it will get less light. Is that too risky at this point?

• Page: