Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Update on my Bonsai. 5 years 7 months ago #44371

• Night727
  • Night727's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
So I did as directed and I repotted my Bonsai in a bigger pot and will be watering we the soil is dry on top and not scheduled watering.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Night727.

Update on my Bonsai. 5 years 7 months ago #44372

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

So I did as directed and I repotted my Bonsai

Young juniper, not bonsai.

in a bigger pot and will be watering we the soil is dry on top and not scheduled watering.

Hm. Who gave this advice? I'm not sure if I would have done this.The pot is too big, it may give problems watering it.
This is about house-plants, which your juniper is not, but it's the same principle:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houseplant :
Proper pot size is an important factor to consider. A pot that is too large will cause root disease because of the excess moisture retained in the soil, while a pot that is too small will restrict a plant's growth.

or this one about container gardening:

homeguides.sfgate.com/proper-pot-size-pl...ardening-103337.html
A large container allows soil to retain moisture better than a small container; so the container's plant won't dry out quickly. Bigger isn't always better, though. If you plant a small specimen with a shallow root system, then an oversized container can make it difficult to keep the right moisture balance in the soil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Night727

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Update on my Bonsai. 5 years 7 months ago #44373

• Night727
Clicio did. And I think I'd take his advice over yours. He seems to genuinely want to help people. You not so much.

Update on my Bonsai. 5 years 7 months ago #44374

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Clicio did. And I think I'd take his advice over yours. He seems to genuinely want to help people. You not so much.

You could argue if it is wise to take the advise of someone only because it is genuinely a nice person over that of a blunt a**hole like me, but I do understand and that's why I included two links to articles for you to read.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Update on my Bonsai. 5 years 7 months ago #44375

• Night727
Which is fair I'll admit but when I put a post on earlier all you said was that it was everything not to do to have the Bonsai grow. Then Clicio put down that a bigger pot was needed and to water when soil was dry and not on a schedule.

If you wanted to help and not be just a critical arsehole then you would have put something worth while then something insulting.

But I will take what you've said into consideration I think the photo I've put makes the pot look bigger then what it is as well. It is still considered a pot for Bonsais.

Plus it has two drainage holes underneath.

Update on my Bonsai. 5 years 7 months ago #44376

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
A few observations here..

On form:
Namecalling has never helped anybody, but the person calling the names -making them feel like important and strong- so can we just leave that out of discussions here?

Could you please update in threads earlier started? That we other people can see whhere you started and what has changed

Don't confuse form over content. Even though someone may seem like the backside of a donkey, the advice given might be relevant.

Secondly, on content.
You are not growing a bonsai, you are growing a plant at this stage. So whether or not this pot was created for bonsai is a bit void. My biggest bonsai pot is 60cm diameter. Does that mean that a 2cm seedling will feel well in there?

Watering is dificult. Junipers do not need a lot of space to grow. They do however tend to get problems if substrate stays wet for too long. This is the reason why a pot on the small side of large is often better than an overly large pot. Also, the substrate used should accomodate a good aeration & water drainage. The soil you have used now looks compost based, which will create some airless wet mess in the pot, if not managed properly.

Note that advice is also climate dependent. As we do not have our geograpic locations clearly visible: Auk and I live in Northern Europe, both in fairly wet areas with relativly cold winters. Clicio lives in the tropics, Brazil. So when judging who can compare your growing conditions best, keep that in mind. Not sure where you are located?

Update on my Bonsai. 5 years 7 months ago #44377

• Night727
Thank you Leather and heres my original post.

www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/help-me/12105...-does-my-bonsai-look

I do apologise to Auk for the name calling earlier and I do appreciate the help.

The soil I'm using is some sort of Bonsai soil it was what I was directed too when I got the pots but I do understand that you could very well be right about too much moisture.

I live in Western Australia as well.

I did believe my original pot was fine but as I stated in my original post I'm still learning about Bonsais and their care. Now I'm second guessing myself with my current pot but if I put it back in the previous one would that do more harm then good?

Update on my Bonsai. 5 years 7 months ago #44378

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Which is fair I'll admit but when I put a post on earlier all you said was that it was everything not to do to have the Bonsai grow.

I understand that's not nice to hear, but I have no reason at all to take that back. What you are doing has very little to do with growing a bonsai.
Bonsai are NOT created by growing plants in bonsai pots. That's just not how it works. And no, I'm not going to elaborate on that. Do you have any idea how incredibly often this has already been told on this forum? So yeah... you may get short replies. Many people do not like to repeat the same thing over and over and over again.

So, your pot is a bonsai pot. You do not need a bonsai pot. Putting a young plant in a bonsai pot will not make it grow into a bonsai.

Update on my Bonsai. 5 years 7 months ago #44379

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I do apologise to Auk for the name calling earlier and I do appreciate the help.

There's no need. I said it first, you only repeated it.

Update on my Bonsai. 5 years 7 months ago #44380

• Night727
Yeah I get that as well I'm assuming I'm one of the many of the same questions being asked on here frequently.

I am reading and looking into other areas as well not just relying on here for information.

Just was seeking someone's input on how I'm going in general with it all.

But you could also understand my frustration as well that I originally got told my pot was to small to then go out and buy a new pot and everything to then find out that it could have been fine the way it was.

• Page: