• Page:

TOPIC:

Baby Bonsai starting to die (absolute Beginner) 5 years 6 months ago #44396

• nicksi
  • nicksi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello Everyone
I thank you in advance for taking the time to read and help me

I recently decided to grow something for the first time. Thus I ended up buying a bonsai kit from online at Amazon called 'Natures Blossom'. Well to my surprise 3 of the 4 actually germinated and grew. Everything was going well and I was loving my new little babies. Then a week ago I noticed some brownish color on the stem. Which of course I thought.. oh wow the stems are already turning into trunks. HA! yeah right. As this color progressed up the stem and was turning purple/brown I had this gut feeling that this was not suppose to be happening. I contacted Natures Blossom and asked for help, and of course they informed me that its probably root rot and to cut out the watering. I wasn't watering that much to begin with, but I really cut back even more to a few dribbles. Natures blossom wasnt much help with all my questions related to potting, transplanting, sun, watering or soil. They did tell me to transplant once they were 3 inches.
so Hence I find myself here!

After 1 week I noticed that the green ontop was starting to slightly shrivel, become less plump and green. I knew I couldn't wait till they were 3 inches! my babies are dying. So I went online and researched bonsai soil, ordered it in with lava rock (and still waiting on bonsai fertilizer to arrive). So yesterday in the morning I was looking at these little trees and they looked even worse, took a chance and decided to repot them. Again reminding that I am a complete noob at gardening, let alone Bonsai, but I am committed now to this new hobbie. Ok, so I start to carefully brush away the very dry soil of the starter kit from the roots and to my not so surprised the roots were long and dried up. Some of the roots were almost dry and dead right to the stem! Fudge. In desperation I pruned off the dead ends of roots and repotted. I have posted pictures.

I dont think how I have potted them is suffice and know I need some guidance if I want these to survive. I wanted to post here to get the best expert advice!
I have the Bonsai species: Pinus Aristata ; Delonix Regia ; Picea Mariana. They are about 6 weeks old.
I have for bonsai soil: Inorganic bonsai soil, lava rocks, Cactus/succulent organic soil mix. I have being delivered in another 2 weeks specific bonsai fertilizer, but I bought today MG with 12% P level (incase, since we are in desperate bonsai situation). In the pictures you see the little containers I repotted too, but i have bought new plastic ones that are 3x size if thats whats recommended to switch to.

I need help on....well everything I guess! But specifically in what ratios to mix my soil ingredients together based on the species I have (I live in Toronto Ontario). Also, I know this may be a silly question, but...what are the steps to potting them...what layers am I creating with the soil, or do I pre-mix it all together first and then fill the container. Also given the state they are in, what is the best method to water and how much water and when. Also how much sunlight and can they be outdoors, or better indoors.

Any other advice is most welcomed and appreciated. Ive included recent pictures and from a week ago when they are in the original starter kit container. The stems turned an even darker color of purple a few days after the photos were taken (pre-repot). Also it may look like the bonsai tree is sideways, its not they are straight but the rocks are supporting around them.
thanks so much!!!!!

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by nicksi.

Baby Bonsai starting to die (absolute Beginner) 5 years 6 months ago #44397

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Looks like these are all happy and healthy. So you are on track.

Just notice, right now you just have young plants in containers. Only in a few (wel, a decade or more) years from now, could you be getting somewhere near bonsai. So you are growing trees now.

Remove all the rocks. They serve no purpose and hinder you seeing what is happening with the soil. Just stop fiddling with them. Plants need timie to grow. So no more repotting, let alone root trimming. First get used to growing stuff before you start messing with them.

Baby Bonsai starting to die (absolute Beginner) 5 years 6 months ago #44398

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
I do not think that are just ocks lb, it is the lava trock she ordered with the bonsai soil to improve it.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Baby Bonsai starting to die (absolute Beginner) 5 years 6 months ago #44399

• nicksi
Thank you both so much for getting back!
The lava rocks are decorative/supportive, but can easily be removed

Since these trees are babies, should I worry less about drainage? Right now the soil mix has more inorganic than organic. Should I repot one more time and mix in more organic soil?

Baby Bonsai starting to die (absolute Beginner) 5 years 6 months ago #44400

• nicksi
Also how much should I be watering? Any suggestion on water schedule
Thanks again!

Baby Bonsai starting to die (absolute Beginner) 5 years 6 months ago #44401

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102

Since these trees are babies,

Seedlings. And please don't give them names
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk

Baby Bonsai starting to die (absolute Beginner) 5 years 6 months ago #44402

• nicksi
How much should I water seedlings?

Baby Bonsai starting to die (absolute Beginner) 5 years 6 months ago #44403

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102

How much should I water seedlings?

Just as much as they need.

But seriously its not something that could be answered through the interwebs. Seedlings can be owerwatered easily. And they also react badly to underwatering. They are very fragile in this stage. I can't say to water them with exactly 100 ml water every friday at 11:00 PM. It is not how it works. Watch out how they react. Their need of water will depend on the humidity, temperature, position, development of each seedlings and also species.

Baby Bonsai starting to die (absolute Beginner) 5 years 6 months ago #44404

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
I recently wrote about all the new "bonsai" growers on this forum. I exaggerated a lot to try and make a point. Actually, even I could not have made this up. Reality beats fiction.

Hard to believe this is not a troll qjuestion.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Baby Bonsai starting to die (absolute Beginner) 5 years 6 months ago #44405

• nicksi
Please elaborate on what you are trying to convey
Thanks!

• Page: