Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

New and in need of assistance, please 4 years 3 months ago #55827

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
The large one might work. The tree needs fresh air and air movement. It also needs humidity. You can put it outside for fresh air and air movement, or you can put it in a terrarium type environment and get humidity. There would be a problem with bugs.

You can pioneer something - put a couple of smallish trees in the large aquarium, put it in a window to get sun, put a lid on it to keep humidity in, and add some some small reptiles for insect control. Probably we would not call this a bonsai creation, but it might look good. There are plenty of books and web pages on terraria, so just add trees......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New and in need of assistance, please 4 years 3 months ago #55829

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1356
I like the idea. Reptile and bonsai vivarium. Bonsai is all about perspective. You can make a small reptile look like a huge dragon if performed Good :).

But really, there are no need for reptiles. Bug control can be done in exactly the same ways inside a terrarium as outside.

If you want to try terrarium, visit a forum for tropical orchids or carnivourus plants. There you will find People that know how to keep the right Environment bug Free without reptiles. In this forum it is a pseudo discussion.

New and in need of assistance, please 4 years 3 months ago #55830

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
I don't like the idea. It is going to give all kinds of trouble with humidity and watering.
Also I don't understand why people do like the idea. Call me old-fashioned, but apparently, growing bonsai is hard enough already for most people, putting them in a strange environment is just going to make things harder. There's a reason why practically no one does it. Better use the tried and proven ways; you'll find more documentation too..

Last edit: Post by Auk.

New and in need of assistance, please 4 years 3 months ago #55831

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1356
I would agree that it is not easy and not för beginners in both vivarium and bonsai.

A tropical vivarium is less strange Environment than a central heated house for a tropical tree. It is all about perspektive.