Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Help me get back into it 4 years 2 months ago #56446

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230

Thanks! I live in Pasadena, work in Northridge where is where I was checking for trees. Thank yo for the heads up, I live about 5~10 minutes from the Huntington library botanical gardens.

awesome they have several shows a year. i should be at the show on the 22nd unless something comes up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help me get back into it 4 years 2 months ago #56447

• eangola
  • eangola's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82
Yeah Ill check it out, do I have to buy tickets in advance?

Help me get back into it 4 years 2 months ago #56448

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230
no, show is free but you do have to pay admission to enter the botanical garden. i believe its like 25 a person:S but easily can make a day out of it i recommend going to check out the bonsai display they have year around. its definitely world class trees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: eangola

Help me get back into it 4 years 2 months ago #56449

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

no, show is free but you do have to pay admission to enter the botanical garden. i believe its like 25 a person:S but easily can make a day out of it i recommend going to check out the bonsai display they have year around. its definitely world class trees.

Yeah my mother in law talked to me about it a few weeks ago. I've been thinking about visiting the gardens, so this is perfect timing
The following user(s) said Thank You: crent89

Last edit: Post by eangola.

Help me get back into it 4 years 2 months ago #56450

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

We can meet if you want. PM me your phone #

Help me get back into it 4 years 2 months ago #56452

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
Find a local bonsai society, go to a meeting, and meet some people. They will know what grows well there. Somebody will have a spare tree or so and will offer to let you have it for cheap. This time of year the bonsai groups will be having shows, all spring. They will have material for sale. Watch the local calendars.

Help me get back into it 4 years 2 months ago #56457

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Yeah, 200 is too much. I am sure you can find much better trees on ebay or so. ALso, look outside the bonsai scene. Look for locally run small scale self-growing nurseries. They often have trees that are crooked etc which you can have for little.

My favorite source however are backyards. Look for public advertisements of plants that people want removed. (Or even more pro-active: Place one yourself that you are looking for old shrubs, and would be happy to help people remove shrubs for free, if you can take the stump. Do NOT mention bonsai or else dollar signs start shining)

• Page: