Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

crassula ovata mealy bugs!!. Systemic Insecticide? 6 years 9 months ago #34036

• nathan_nathan
  • nathan_nathan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi,

I have a very old jade tree that I have been battling with mealy bugs for years. I am diligent with spraying alcohol to kill them on site but the foliage is dense and you cannot always see them. I am looking for some advice with a systemic solution and being in Canada its not easy. I did manage to find a bottle of Sevin ( 2%carbaryl) that was on a back shelf of a local nursery. Has anyone had any experience with this product and a jade tree? I will not risk killing the tree but I have not found any specific info about this product with this plant. It is recommended to use with certain cacti so I think it should be safe? I have also read about a Bayer product but it is not available here..

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

crassula ovata mealy bugs!!. Systemic Insecticide? 6 years 9 months ago #34037

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I would recommend going to a succulent forum. This is a forum about bonsai, and has not much to do with C Ovata care.

crassula ovata mealy bugs!!. Systemic Insecticide? 6 years 9 months ago #34040

• nathan_nathan
  • nathan_nathan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
various types of jade are regularly used in bonsai. See any of Jim Smith's portulacaria for reference.
bonsaibark.com/2012/05/21/a-true-gentleman-a-very-large-tree/

Anyone with some actual experience & information with this systemic please reply!

crassula ovata mealy bugs!!. Systemic Insecticide? 6 years 9 months ago #34046

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

various types of jade are regularly used in bonsai. See any of Jim Smith's portulacaria for reference.
bonsaibark.com/2012/05/21/a-true-gentleman-a-very-large-tree/

Anyone with some actual experience & information with this systemic please reply!

You really want to go there? I think not...
- Jade is not jade: Portulacaria is a VERY different plant species as Carssula. Neither of which is ultimately very suitable for bonsai.
- On this forum, I have never seen anyone with a succesfull attempt.
- Succulents respond very different to insecticides than tree species and may die from application of the wrong types (They just turn to mush. I have grown hundred of succulent species for a decade, untill I moved to smaller accomodation).

So, as said: Go to a succulent forum, as they will have better info on this than on a bonsai forum.

• Page: