Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Plum tree bleeding 6 years 9 months ago #34318

• keitaro
  • keitaro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Hello,

As title says. My plum tree is bleeding. Actually both my plums are. The larger one is sharing with an apple.

It bled in two spots, But it happened after a really scorcher of a day and i watered in afternoon about 7pm and the water was cold. This tree is actually fine. from what i can tell so far no dead branches or leaves dropping off.

But the second is a much younger tree and about 1 cm trunk. with only 5 branches. less now actually as I cut off 2 dead ones.
It bled off a old dead bud that never opened. The next day he whole branch was dead like it killed the sap from traveling up.

I panicked and immediately cut, if infection was the problem i didn`t want to take any chances. Now 2 weeks latter the same has occurred.

1 branch died. Even the branch green part went brown.

The other branch the leaves all died but the branch is still green so i did not cut them yet.

I don`t see any cut or infection anywhere on tree. I think you call cankers in America?

So I was wondering if it might be getting too much heat to cause this or too much watering might be a cause.

I will admit i have not mastered watering yet for all trees but had no issues with the plum the year before so i have been watering again pretty much the same. I usually wait till it looks a touch droopy or the dirt is dry about 1 cm in.

It`s summer now so it has been getting watered twice most days.
Also after the first died i moved it away from the concrete wall and in a more shaded area where it gets full-80% sun for only about 3 to 4 hours in the morning. rest of the day it`s shaded.

I`ll come back with a pic soon i keep getting a time out error.

In the mean time anyone have any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Plum tree bleeding 6 years 9 months ago #34322

• keitaro
Img as promised. Just noticed another bleed on a health branch.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Plum tree bleeding 6 years 9 months ago #34325

• Travi51
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 35
I'm not really sure as I don't have a olive, I would say it's bleeding because you made a cut, I don't think it's infected but Wait for a more experienced members they may know

Plum tree bleeding 6 years 9 months ago #34353

• keitaro
Thanks,

I have pulled it out of the sun for now it`s getting partial sun. I also did my best to keep it away from concrete walls reflecting heat onto it.
No new bleeding so far and the 1 branch that did bleed but didn`t die is still doing fine.
Bit saddened now the branches I lost were critical to my plans for it.

Will have to practice some grafting and see if it can graft something nice onto it. in 2 years time.

still wondering what would have caused it to bleed. The bleeding in the pic was from an old branch cut of in 2016. but others bled from the old spots where buds had come up.

I am for now assuming it was a lot of heat made it bleed as heat does to old pines some times.

• Page: