Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Ulmus Parvifolia MANY DİSEASES!! 6 years 9 months ago #34626

• Ozbek
  • Ozbek's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hello, I have a bonsai since January 2017. I think it is Chinese elm (Ulmus Parvifolia). It has many diseases. I need HELP!!

About 2 months ago, it's started to shed it many leaves. First a leaf would get black spots and then turn yellow, then fall down. I think it was black spot disease. (Picture A's)

Later, about a month ago it's started to get white spots on some leaves and on the same leaves, it started having tiny black spotted white insects. I think these are two spotted spider mites. (Picture B's)

After seeing the insects I sprayed Mancozeb (fungisit) and Acetamiprid (pesticide). This did not improve the insects situation but it's had positive effect on black spot disease.

For the last 2 weeks I have been using NeemAzal on it's leaves and soil, once a week. It killed about the insects %80 percent, but it still has some insects. I sprayed water and ciggarette ashes mix once. And I'm waiting to see the results.

Last week I saw little white round insects on its soil. (I haven't picture of them) I treated this with Acetamiprid on its soil once.

See Picure C's for the most recent status of my bonsai.
Now, tips of some of its leaves turn brownish and fall down.
Most of its leaves now seem to be covered in dust. It's new buds develıp a little and then change in to darker colour and fall off.
Now It shed most many of leaves and it trubk is covered with a white layer.

What do you think? What should I do?? Help me...

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ulmus Parvifolia MANY DİSEASES!! 6 years 9 months ago #34629

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

What do you think? What should I do??

I think you should not start the same topic twice.

Ulmus Parvifolia MANY DİSEASES!! 6 years 9 months ago #34632

• Bunsen33
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 43
It seems like you might be over reacting and harming your tree in the end. If it is outdoors it will have insects. It is unrealistic to expect any outdoor plant to be 100% insect free. You want to keep an eye out for ones that may be harmful and infestations. In the cases where you think you need to intervene you should try to identify the pest and use an insecticide that is registered to control it. The labels of pesticides are required to contain this information by law (in most countries?). The same is true for fungi and fungicides. You also want to make sure that you are following the use instructions on the container, as many of these chemicals can harm plants if too much is applied.

Picture B looks like insect damage from feeding.

Could the C pictures be due to over or under watering? I think that it being just the tips of the leaves that are discoloring suggests this.

Could the white dust be powdery mildew (a fungus)?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ozbek

Ulmus Parvifolia MANY DİSEASES!! 6 years 9 months ago #34635

• Ozbek
  • Ozbek's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
It is my first bonsai so I am sensitive and no nowledge about its care. So I want to help.

Last edit: Post by Ozbek.

Ulmus Parvifolia MANY DİSEASES!! 6 years 9 months ago #34738

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Where is the tree located?

Keep it
- Outside
- in a spot that gets a bit of sun every day
- Out of midday sun
- Sheltered from rain

Then, water whenever the soil starts to get dry. Do not dunk the pot in water, but justw ater with a watering can with a 'showerhead' attachment.

Do not fiddle with it anymore.

Check carefully whether you find very fine webbing over the leaves and branches. If you do, post clear pictures.
Hardly any tree gets all sorts of fungal infections. Normally it is just improper care that causes leaves to deform.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ozbek

Last edit: Post by leatherback.
  • Page: