I want to save my bonsai 6 years 4 months ago #36653

• BonsaiUK
  • BonsaiUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello!
Request: help me revive my bonsai

Context:
- bonsai lost many leaves, and the new ones were not growing at all
- I noticed a parasite, which was as thin as paper, red / brownish in colour crawling over remaining leaves
- so, I removed infected leaves, cleared bark and branches from all parasites i could find
- i sprayed the tree with common garden parasite killer
- waited a few days
- clipped some branches to see if tree was still alive. It is - branches are a healthy green inside
- i cleaned out the soil to check for root rot - no visible rotting
- i trimmed a little off the roots
- repotted with what was left of original soil
- no more visible parasites
- tree grows small shoots, but they wont grow more than 3 or 4 mm then they wither and die
- i clipped more branches - tree is still alive
- the above process took place over 2 weeks - tree is still alive
- i live in the UK, it is winter now
- tree is located on the window sill, with direct sunlight in the morning (when it is not grey)
- maintained at room temperature
- species is fukien tea, now 9 years old - i have had it for one year

Can I do anything else to save it? or is a case of wait and see now.....

Thanks for your time!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I want to save my bonsai 6 years 4 months ago #36658

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

- bonsai lost many leaves, and the new ones were not growing at all
- I noticed a parasite
- clipped some branches to see if tree was still alive.
- i trimmed a little off the roots
- repotted with what was left of original soil
- i clipped more branches

So, you pushed a stressed tree to the limit. You didn't post a picture, but reading the above I'm going to predict this is a lost cause.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

I want to save my bonsai 6 years 4 months ago #36659

• Andrew1185uk
  • Thanks received: 17
Surely trimming the roots and branches is taking energy from the tree and weakening it further?

I want to save my bonsai 6 years 4 months ago #36665

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I soppose you could start by telling us which plant species it is. And yes, a picture might help.

I want to save my bonsai 6 years 1 month ago #37825

• farhanmohammad316
  • Thanks received: 0
How to Revive Your Bonsai Tree
Here are some steps you can try to revive your Bonsai Tree:

1. Identify the Problem
First, you should look closely at your Bonsai tree to identify what the problem is. Look for signs of insect infestation, such as wilt, mites, and webs (they may be difficult to spot, especially on an indoor tree.)

Next, check for signs of disease, over-watering, or under-watering. Foliage spots, wilt, browning leaves, soft roots and/or trunk, or creases in the trunk are all signs of disease.

2. Trim the Dead Spots
You’ll want to trim away parts of the tree that are dead to encourage future growth. Pinch away brown and/or wilted leaves from the stem, and use pruning shears to trim away any dead stems or branches (a branch is dead if it crumbles, or snaps away with ease).

3. Treat the Tree with a Gentle Insecticide
If you’ve determined that your Bonsai is infested with pests or fungi, spray it with a light insecticide or fungicide spray. Determine your tree’s symptoms before you choose the spray, to ensure that you buy the correct treatment. Lightly spray the foliage of the tree to ensure that every area is lightly coated in the chemical.

4. Check the Moisture Levels
Before you doing anything else, check the moisture levels in the soil. To do this, stick your finger 1-2 inches into the soil. If it feels dry, the browning leaves may be caused by dehydration. These next steps will help the plant to recover from this common problem.

5. Take Care of the Roots
Remove the Bonsai Tree from the container and look closely at the root system. With pruning shears, cut away any dead or rotten roots. These roots may be preventing the Bonsai Tree from receiving the nutrients it needs. Cut them back to the root mass, and be careful not to cut any healthy roots.

6. Place the Bonsai in a Temporary Container
Let the Bonsai rest in a clean container filled with tepid water. While it’s resting, clean out its former container thoroughly, and begin preparing a new soil mix.

The soil should be loose, and able to retain water efficiently. The best soil mixture will depend a lot upon the type of Bonsai Tree you have, so choose carefully. Create a mixture with a good fertilizer, and nutrient rich potting soil. Place wire mesh around the drainage holes, and fill the container a third of the way with soil.

7. Let it Soak
Take the Bonsai out of the water, and place it in the center of you container. Fill it the rest of the way with soil. Afterwards, place it in a large container of water (like a sink or a bucket) while it’s potted. The water should reach about 1 inch over the surface of the container. Let it sit in the water until the soil is free of air.

Remove the tree from the water, and allow the water to drain from the drainage holes.

8. A Warm, Shaded Area
Choose a well-ventilated, warm, and partially shaded location to place your Bonsai until it heals.

I want to save my bonsai 6 years 1 month ago #37827

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

How to Revive Your Bonsai Tree
Here are some steps you can try to revive your Bonsai Tree:

Not so great advice and you stole it from bonsaitreegardener too...

I want to save my bonsai 6 years 1 month ago #37830

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Create a mixture with a good fertilizer, and nutrient rich potting soil...
...Afterwards, place it in a large container of water (like a sink or a bucket) while it’s potted.

I'm with Auk.
Some of this advice (such as quoted) are not unanimously accepted as good procedures for sick trees.

• Page: