Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Black and Gray Insects help ID'ing 4 years 7 months ago #52623

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357

Everything. Water& soap does not kill a tree. In sun or shade.

Yea you are totally right. But I never wrote that it Will kill the tree.

Water and soap left on photosyntesis surface in the sun inhibits photosyntesis and gas excange. It Will not kill the plant unless it is not already very week. And in that case the soap and water spray is not the cause, just an accelerator.

So please read on a forum with the intention to understand your "counterpart". Acusing People to be lying does not really make a sound discussion.

Br
Magnus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Black and Gray Insects help ID'ing 4 years 7 months ago #52624

• Rorror
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 132
Last time i bought a cornifer in a shop, once at home i noticed the same woodsucking aphids. I took a bucket of water, with a bit of soap in it. And putted the tree up side down in the bucket for 20min. After that i washed the tree with a good amount of fresh water. Repeat it the week after that, and the aphids are gone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

Black and Gray Insects help ID'ing 4 years 7 months ago #52626

• Bunsen33
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 43

Water and soap left on photosyntesis surface in the sun inhibits photosyntesis and gas excange.

How would this inhibit photosynthesis? Agricultural inputs are done by foliar application (applied to the leaves/canopy) all the time and multiple times throughout the growing season. I'm a chemist that works in agriculture (5+ years of field and greenhouse work plus courses in Agronomy). Please expand upon your statement.

So please read on a forum with the intention to understand your "counterpart". Acusing People to be lying does not really make a sound discussion.

People come here for help and suggestions. If someone with a reasonable amount of experience thinks that another's suggestion is inaccurate that person should say so. There's no reason that we should allow poor information to spread just to save someone's feelings.

Black and Gray Insects help ID'ing 4 years 7 months ago #52629

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
It still makes no sense.

Black and Gray Insects help ID'ing 4 years 7 months ago #52642

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Water and soap left on photosyntesis surface in the sun inhibits photosyntesis and gas excange.

How would this inhibit photosynthesis? Agricultural inputs are done by foliar application (applied to the leaves/canopy) all the time and multiple times throughout the growing season. I'm a chemist that works in agriculture (5+ years of field and greenhouse work plus courses in Agronomy). Please expand upon your statement.

People come here for help and suggestions. If someone with a reasonable amount of experience thinks that another's suggestion is inaccurate that person should say so. There's no reason that we should allow poor information to spread just to save someone's feelings.

Well, I dont have any degrees worth mentioning here. Just a amateur grower for 25 years. i have seen non deniable relation between plants withering a lot and soap water spray in the sun. I had a guy explaining to me that is was photosyntesis and transpiration which was blocked. So no matter that this explaining is correct or not my plants wiltered. I guess that there are milions of recepies for soap and not all of Them have the same effect on plants. And most likelly not all plants reacts the same way on the same soap.

I agree totally that one should ship in if they found information not in line with their own experience or knowledge. That is how discussion is created. But Theese oneliners normally kille any discussion.

Br
Magnus

Br
Magnus

Black and Gray Insects help ID'ing 4 years 7 months ago #52646

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I do not see the need for discussion. Soapwater does not kill trees.There is no discussion.

I mena, I can claim here that frogs eat pine needles. Does this warant a discusion?

Black and Gray Insects help ID'ing 4 years 7 months ago #52649

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I do not see the need for discussion. Soapwater does not kill trees.There is no discussion.

I mena, I can claim here that frogs eat pine needles. Does this warant a discusion?

Well, that is silly... I have never claimed that soap kill plants. Soap made my plants withering. Withering weakens a plant. Every thing that weakens an already weak plant can accelerate death.

Br
Magnus

Black and Gray Insects help ID'ing 4 years 7 months ago #52651

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ok, let me rephrase. In the 30 odd years that i have used soap-alcohol water as insecticide has not one single plant ever wilted or died from its use whether done so in sun or at night.

If it does for you look for what you have done because it is not the soapy water.

Black and Gray Insects help ID'ing 4 years 7 months ago #52653

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Ok, let me rephrase. In the 30 odd years that i have used soap-alcohol water as insecticide has not one single plant ever wilted or died from its use whether done so in sun or at night.

If it does for you look for what you have done because it is not the soapy water.

That was so much better :).

Then there are differences in soap, concentration and or species. I am absoluttely sure about the conection between me spraying and The plants withering.

Br
Magnus

Black and Gray Insects help ID'ing 4 years 7 months ago #52666

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

I took a bucket of water, with a bit of soap in it. And putted the tree up side down in the bucket for 20min.

It was based by this theory (drowning the tree upside down) that I killed a splendid cork bark cascade black pine.
I regret it and even today I get angry at myself for having done that.