Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Japanese Maple with Spider Mites. Question about Treatment 3 years 6 days ago #66971

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Note thast insecticides will not kills spider mites. (Mites are not insects). If you get something to spray, make sure the packes mentioned them explicitly.

But as said: Changing the environment might be the way to go, else you are always treating the tree.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Japanese Maple with Spider Mites. Question about Treatment 3 years 5 days ago #67009

• Heckin Wes
  • Heckin Wes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
While mites are technically arachnids, the pesticides used for them are still typically regarded as "insecticides". That being said, definitely pick the pesticide that will work on JUST what you're trying to kill. Otherwise other beneficial insects (and other creepy crawlies) might be harmed. Basically if it has an exoskeleton an insecticide is what you should go for. Although remember to use one that targets the SPECIFIC insect/arachnid/creepycrawly that you're trying to kill. And keep clear of herbicides.

Japanese Maple with Spider Mites. Question about Treatment 3 years 5 days ago #67012

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

While mites are technically arachnids, the pesticides used for them are still typically regarded as "insecticides". That being said, definitely pick the pesticide that will work on JUST what you're trying to kill. Otherwise other beneficial insects (and other creepy crawlies) might be harmed. Basically if it has an exoskeleton an insecticide is what you should go for. Although remember to use one that targets the SPECIFIC insect/arachnid/creepycrawly that you're trying to kill. And keep clear of herbicides.

What a load of nonsense.

insecticide is a poison against insects. Mites are not insects.
For mites you use miticides

www.britannica.com/technology/miticide :
Miticide, also called Acaricide, any chemical substance used to control mites or ticks (especially species that damage ornamental or food plants), which are not susceptible to commonly used insecticides.

If you want a generic name for stuff that kills pests, its called pesticide.

Do not try to blur the lines. It does NOT help the OP.

I was very clear, stating that the OP needs to verify the package explicitly mentions mites, as insecticides are not made to kill mites. In general, spiders are very usefull to have.

Japanese Maple with Spider Mites. Question about Treatment 3 years 4 days ago #67020

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Really no value add to the discussion to go into definitions of things. As I see it OP have got the same info twice. Make sure that the poison you shoose specifically targets spidermites, no matter what its called........Or get som predatory mites, they are fantasic predators on spider mites and will not harm any other spiders or insects.

Japanese Maple with Spider Mites. Question about Treatment 3 years 4 days ago #67021

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Must be my training as an academic that I value the use of the right terms when making recommendations.

This is such a great forum, where misinformation runs like wildfire.

Japanese Maple with Spider Mites. Question about Treatment 3 years 4 days ago #67023

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600

Must be my training as an academic that I value the use of the right terms when making recommendations.

This is such a great forum, where misinformation runs like wildfire.

I could go on......

I have recommended people getting into bonsai to classify advice into two groups, that from those with lots of old trees and those with just a few young trees. Do what the first group says, avoid what the second group says. It has always worked for me.

Japanese Maple with Spider Mites. Question about Treatment 3 years 4 days ago #67025

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I agree totally leatherback and have the same training. have tried several times to clear missunderstanding with try to explain the diference in definitions. Every time I get the same answer. No need to discuss definitions, its adding nothing to OP question. Sometimes it does and sometimes not. In this case not, so I could not help myself :)

Japanese Maple with Spider Mites. Question about Treatment 3 years 4 days ago #67026

• Heckin Wes
  • Heckin Wes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

What a load of nonsense.

insecticide is a poison against insects. Mites are not insects.
For mites you use miticides

www.britannica.com/technology/miticide :
Miticide, also called Acaricide, any chemical substance used to control mites or ticks (especially species that damage ornamental or food plants), which are not susceptible to commonly used insecticides.

If you want a generic name for stuff that kills pests, its called pesticide.

Do not try to blur the lines. It does NOT help the OP.

I was very clear, stating that the OP needs to verify the package explicitly mentions mites, as insecticides are not made to kill mites. In general, spiders are very usefull to have.

Okay well, sorry, guess I was wrong. But to be fair I'm the OP and someone necro'd my thread. Semantics aside my points still stand even if my definitions are slightly off

Japanese Maple with Spider Mites. Question about Treatment 3 years 4 days ago #67027

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I could go on......

I have recommended people getting into bonsai to classify advice into two groups, that from those with lots of old trees and those with just a few young trees. Do what the first group says, avoid what the second group says. It has always worked for me.

In koi keeping I give the advice not to listen to people with a lot of experience from medical treatments as patogen outbreak allways is caused by environmental factors. It is the same with trees. What we call pests is everywhere around us and can only become an infestation if environment is wrong and the tree weak.

Japanese Maple with Spider Mites. Question about Treatment 3 years 4 days ago #67033

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
Almost agree with Topfrog. Ants bring aphids in no matter what. But, by and large, the only time I have pest problems is a month after I bring the outdoors trees indoors. Obviously environmental.

A little gasoline (petrol) added to a hot enough fire: in the US the word "organic " is an advertising word with no legal definition. That means a product can be advertised as organic and the word means nothing. Organic in chemistry means containing carbon. Organic potassium or organic nitrogen is an oxymoron (nothing to do with oxygen). Organic maple seeds is repetitive and only means the price goes up.

I do not know about other countries.