Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Cobwebs on Juniper 12 years 9 months ago #476

• Keiko
  • Keiko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello, all!

I am a beginner. I bought a bonsai tree and after reviewing pictures of different kinds, I think it is a Juniper. After about 2 months, the leaves are yellowing and there are little cobwebs around yellowed leaves. I cannot see a spider or any bug anywhere on or around the tree which makes me think it is very small.

Anything I can do? My beautiful tree is dying!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Cobwebs on Juniper 12 years 9 months ago #480

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi Keiko,

Would it be possible to take a close-up photo of the cobwebs and plant to share with us here? It would perhaps help identify to problem. That's a beautiful tree and I can understand your concern. Thanks

Leslie

Re: Cobwebs on Juniper 12 years 9 months ago #485

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
I agree with leslie, I can't see on the picture what the problem exactly is, if you close-up some yellow leaves and the cobwebs, it would be clearer ;)

Hope we can make it healthy again! :)

Re: Cobwebs on Juniper 12 years 9 months ago #490

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I have an idea what it MIGHT be. THere is a little red spider, I think it is called spider mite in English (In Dutch: Spint). Is suchs the plants juices and leaves little scars. In the end, the colonies might kill a otherwise healthy plant. It typically occurs on 'unhappy' plants. So plants that stand in the shade when they prefer full sun, plants in a draft, or air which is too dry. Getting rid of it is fairly easy with a spray against the mites (Naturally, it is poison, and you need to deicde whether you want that on the plants.

Check the plant very carefully. The mites are less than a mm in size, reddish. Like the plant has been covered with some pepper.

Last edit: Post by Oscar.

Re: Cobwebs on Juniper 12 years 9 months ago #545

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0
Is your juniper indoors or outdoors? If it's an indoor plant, sometimes all you need to do is spray the whole plant with water. Healthy outdoor plants are naturally cleansed of pests when it rains, and it might be all your juniper needs.

Re: Cobwebs on Juniper 12 years 9 months ago #549

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
From my general knowledge of gardening and indoor plants, I have found a very mild solution of water and a little bit of dish detergent sprayed all over the plant (including the underside of the leaves) is a great remedy for spider mites. All the best to you and your Bonsai. :)

Leslie

• Page: