Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bonsai Azalea 7 years 9 months ago #22554

• Simpson
  • Simpson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I received an Azalea Bonsai tree for Mother's Day and need help identifying why the leaves are turning brown. Today I sprayed an organic insecticide on and under the leaves and will treat the bonsai again in 7 days. I've begun misting the bonsai because I live in the dry climate of the Rocky Mountains.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bonsai Azalea 7 years 9 months ago #22557

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128
Tips turning brown are usually a sign of watering issues.
1. Make sure it gets a thorough soaking when you water it, so that excess water is running clear through the drainage holes.
Note: this does not mean immersion in water. Water from the top. If it takes multiple waterings to prevent your top soil from washing away, take your time until it runs clear.
2. Let it dry some in between waterings. Though azalea does like a more damp environment, few plants like it really wet all the time.
Note: Overwatering is just as bad as under watering. I generally see brown tips with overwatering, & limp or dry leaves when under watered.
3. The location of the bonsai may also be a factor. A tree in the sun will obviously dry out faster. One in a shady /partial sun spot will dry slower.
Note: Azaleas & Rhododendrons do very well in the shady/partial sun areas. Research growing habits of azaleas.
4. The top layer of soil dries fastest, but it doesn't mean the bottom is also dry. Gently dig down into the soil with your finger to check it's moisture. If you've got damp soil just below the upper layer, you're probably still in good shape. Give it another day, check again, & water.
5. If you're having issues with it not getting good water penetration (water not running free through the bottom), the holes may be clogged, or your tree may be potbound. Check the holes first. It's not a good time of the year to do any root work, but you can always take it out of the pot & place in a larger one with more soil around it.
Note: don't disturb the roots much if performing this task.
Also note: If this is your first tree, know that most have wires holding them in the pot (look under the pot). Cut them before trying to lift it out.
Also also note: keep it outside, even during winter.
Contact a bonsai club in your area for more tips. Good luck!

Bonsai Azalea 7 years 9 months ago #22558

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Note that the yellowing of the leaves is not uniform: The veigns stay somewhat green. This is a sign of the plant not being ablt to take up Iron (Fe) from the soil. If this is what is happening, this could be due to poorly functioning roots (Soil not acidic enough) and/or absence of iron in your fertilizer.

I doubt that your insecticide is the cause of the yellowing, but I would not use it untill you have found the cause of the yellowing. What did you spray againsta? Do you have a bad infestation on the plant? Otherwaise parheps you can clean the tree of the pest by hand instead?

Bonsai Azalea 7 years 9 months ago #22563

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
I think it could be chlorosis, if your water is hard then it is not able to get the iron, you need to use sequestrine to lower the pH of the soil. Has it looked like this long? There is no point spraying insecticide unless you can see insects.

Bonsai Azalea 7 years 9 months ago #22564

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

I think it could be chlorosis, if your water is hard then it is not able to get the iron, you need to use sequestrine to lower the pH of the soil. Has it looked like this long? There is no point spraying insecticide unless you can see insects.

ehm.. What did I write? :unsure:

Bonsai Azalea 7 years 6 months ago #25107

• nicka
Hello!! this is a friend's azalea.
From the photo i think that is underwatered.
Any ideas? can overwatering have the same results?
Photo is recent. hi temperatures ~30C
Thnx!!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Bonsai Azalea 7 years 6 months ago #25108

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Any ideas? can overwatering have the same results?

Read this thread, that you hijacked. Someone already did his best to answer these questions.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Bonsai Azalea 7 years 6 months ago #25113

• nicka
my question was about the specific tree on pictures and not in general. if you have an opinion about what is the problem i would appreciate to hear. i didnt understand the ..hijacked..

Bonsai Azalea 7 years 6 months ago #25114

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
[double post]

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Bonsai Azalea 7 years 6 months ago #25115

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

my question was about the specific tree on pictures and not in general.

The extensive list with possible issues will do fine. Read it, and if you have more questions, can you please give more specific details?

i didnt understand the ..hijacked..

You are in someone else's thread. It would have been better to open a new one.

• Page: