Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Are these spider mites? 6 years 9 months ago #33748

• Biafra
  • Biafra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Hey, so for past few weeks i noticed my larger larch'es inner and lower needles are falling out turning brown (photo). I was told that it might be spider mites so i used a chemical designed for spider mites in all stages.
But now after 2 weeks i dont see any improvement and i noticed little webs on a lot of branches (photo example) Also i have another larch, chinese elm and a juniper on which i also noticed some webs now.
I have a magnifying glass (3.5x) and i was trying to spot some little bugs but didnt see any, also i tried to shake branches while holding white paper but nothing has fallen on it... Now im not sure what to do should i wait? or should i use more chemical designed for spider mites now?

Also on two of the pictures you can see ends of needles shriveled up on larch, any idea what happend there?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Biafra.

Are these spider mites? 6 years 9 months ago #33783

• Biafra
Wow really no one have any idea?

Are these spider mites? 6 years 9 months ago #33785

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
I do not see anything. I see healthy green foliage, and foliage that is not growing, perhaps due to shaindg and/or aggressive root pruning. I see no spider webs on your tree. So.. Either there is nothing wrong (Except for inproper conditions for the lower branches, which are shaded out by teh top) or your pictures are not clearly showing the issues at hand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Biafra

Are these spider mites? 6 years 9 months ago #33786

• Biafra
Thanks for reply Leatherback. On the secend and third picture from the top if you zoom in you can see a web and this kind of web is on a lot of branches. Im not sure though if its some spider(s) which is not bad for the tree or is it spider mites.

Are these spider mites? 6 years 9 months ago #33787

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Have a look online and compare the pictures. There is no confusing spider mite with spiders.

www.google.nl/search?q=spidermite

- I do not see spider mite infection here.

Last edit: Post by leatherback.

Are these spider mites? 6 years 9 months ago #33788

• Biafra
Yea i checked a lot of spider mites pictures already before. And the webs are kinda similar but much lesser in volume so i thought mayby its just the beginning of infection. But alright if i dont see them in bigger volume it will be ok i hope:)

Are these spider mites? 6 years 9 months ago #33789

• Travi51
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 35
I'm sorry, I have never dealt with them be for so I don't know. Have you tried looking them up? It's never bad to spray your trees for bugs ect. I use neem oil concentrate, I dilute it and spray my trees for nats and other bugs it's also a fungicide and miticide.

Are these spider mites? 6 years 9 months ago #33819

• el_cheezer
  • Thanks received: 19
It seems a bit sparse for spidermites. The ones I've had were fast, and overwhelmed the tree very quickly. There's no harm in using a fungicidal soap to wash them away just in case. Be sure to keep an eye on your tree and get on top of them if it gets worse.

Are these spider mites? 6 years 9 months ago #33822

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I'm sorry, I have never dealt with them be for so I don't know. Have you tried looking them up? It's never bad to spray your trees for bugs ect. I use neem oil concentrate, I dilute it and spray my trees for nats and other bugs it's also a fungicide and miticide.

I disagree. It is bad to just spray plants with poison. Most insects do not do any harm and often are good in keeping balance. Besides this, it is often hurtfull for larger animals that eat insects. Just spraying because something could be there is a bad appraoch. Find out what you are dealing with, whether it is harmful and only then consider whether spraying is needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Travi51

Are these spider mites? 6 years 9 months ago #33826

• Biafra
Thanks for help guys:). I found out that the tree was repotted (and probably root pruned) about 37 days ago. Is it possible its only showing signs of repotting now? Also I noticed now that youngest shoots are kind of deflated :/.

Overall tree looks pretty weak, should I put it in a more shady location? It has full sun from about 8:00 am till 14:00.

• Page: