Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Coastal Redwood (Sequoia Sempervirens) 6 years 8 months ago #34433

• Sleuth
  • Sleuth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2

Here I have a very small, happy Coastal Redwood I bought at Bonsai Northwest in Seattle for $7. I've done my research and realize its in a very small pot and is as happy as your mom last night. I'm in it for the long haul. They're relatively fast growers averaging 6-10" annually so I'm experimenting with stunting and watching its affects. Generally speaking just pruning new growth off the tips of long branches and waiting for the roots to break the pot. I was curious if anyone has experience with using Sequoia Sempervirens as bonsai material and have advice/tricks. Thanks in advance.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coastal Redwood (Sequoia Sempervirens) 6 years 8 months ago #34437

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
This plant is a little young to be in a small pot. If you are serious about growing a bonsai, you will need loads of foliage, which means loads of roots, and thus rootspace.

I do not need to tell you this plant needs to be outside yearround?

Coastal Redwood (Sequoia Sempervirens) 6 years 8 months ago #34454

• Sleuth

This plant is a little young to be in a small pot. If you are serious about growing a bonsai, you will need loads of foliage, which means loads of roots, and thus rootspace.

I do not need to tell you this plant needs to be outside yearround?

No sir, however being so small and a native species of California I bring it inside under freezing here in Washington. Naturally growing by the coast in the shade of significantly larger trees in infancy does extremely well in shade, humidity and is a relatively fast grower 6-10" annually prone to dropping bottom branches. I do have a 300 watt double ended grow light that produces as much as a 1000 watt I stick it under for 4-6 hours when I do. Plus women love it because of the type of tree and how small it is ;)

Last edit: Post by Sleuth.

Coastal Redwood (Sequoia Sempervirens) 6 years 8 months ago #34462

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170
I'm with leatherback here, at the very least this guy needs to be in a grow pot... probably 1/3 to twice as large as this pot, depending on the root system... but before your trunk is big enough for this pot, and even at that growth rate it will take you at least 10 years before you have an interesting trunk.

have a look here: www.bing.com/images/search?q=Sequoia+Sem...&FORM=IQFRBA&ajf=100

while not all of these trees are interesting and good, they might give you some ideas about where you can go after a decade of growth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sleuth

Coastal Redwood (Sequoia Sempervirens) 6 years 8 months ago #34464

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170
ok, some of them are not sequoia sempervirens... there is a pine or two in those photos.

Coastal Redwood (Sequoia Sempervirens) 6 years 8 months ago #34466

• Sleuth
Dude you're the man, seriously thank you. I understand planting it in a bigger pot makes it grow faster. I live in an apartment with a 10' X 12' North facing patio and space is a major factor with 32 different trees (I have no duplicates). This little guy doesn't mind window sills or being outside.

• Page: