Any tips or advice

• Travi51
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 35

Any tips or advice was created by Travi51

Posted 6 years 9 months ago #34575
I have shown my maple a couple of times but here it is agen after the first wiring done to the tree, I would like tour inputs on the tree. Thank you.
by Travi51

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Any tips or advice

Posted 6 years 9 months ago #34585
Your wiring seems OK and the way you formed the lowest branches seems fine too.
However: All branches are horizontal. That's not natural. The higher you get up a tree, the smaller (and lighter) the branches should get, and the more you go up the tree, the more they will point up.

Seems you could use more branches too.
by Auk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Travi51

• Travi51
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Replied by Travi51 on topic Any tips or advice

Posted 6 years 9 months ago #34588
Thank you auk. One of the mane reasons I did it was to alow more light in to help with back budding to make more branches. With the vertical of the lowest branches are they ok or should I bring them up a bit? And with the higher branches do the same?
by Travi51

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 6 years 9 months ago #34590
The lowest branch looks fine. The higher up the tree you get, the more the branch should grow up.
The high branches seem too long, and you're missing a couple of branches between the lowest and the higher branches.
Maybe you can chop it and choose a new leader? Asking, not advising...
by Auk

• Travi51
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 6 years 9 months ago #34591
It was taller, and it was clumped at the top, were the tape is is were I chopped it once already this year. I do like the size of the tree. Could I manipulate the branches already established to hide the fact I need more branching? Could new branching be formed now there is more light interning the tree? I know a totally newbie thing to say but I'm afraid of cutting it back further. The tree was kinda expensive as well.
by Travi51

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 6 years 9 months ago #34592

Travi51 wrote: It was taller, and it was clumped at the top, were the tape is is were I chopped it once already this year. I do like the size of the tree.

OK, good.

Could I manipulate the branches already established to hide the fact I need more branching?

Probably. You can let side-branches grow into the 'gap'. Bit hard to tell as I cannot see the real tree.

Could new branching be formed now there is more light interning the tree?

Yes. Keep the tree healthy, prune properly and be patient.

I know a totally newbie thing to say but I'm afraid of cutting it back further. The tree was kinda expensive as well.

You're doing fine. No need to cut it back really. Give it time now and take good care of it. You can always do things later (but you cannot undo things you do now).
Last Edit:6 years 9 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Auk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Travi51

• Travi51
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Posted 6 years 9 months ago #34594
Thank you very much for the help auk. I have a couple of other trees I have been working on back budding to make it more compact as the branches are to lengthy and there are to many of them. I have a spruce that has started some back budding already. Here is a picture, I have been nervous to post this tree as I feel like I messed up with it but any advice on this tree would be great as well. Agen it's in it's very begging stages nothing what a bonsai should be at the moment.
by Travi51

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Any tips or advice

Posted 6 years 9 months ago #34747
Hi Travi,

Nice job on the wiring.
I am however with Auk on the reducing the height. Look at the tree. You have 3 lower banches. Then a long straight section of trunk and then the rest of the crown. Then trunk section will never be pretty. Removing it gives you a new leader just above the highst of the low branches (I see a small side branch there).

If it were my tree, this is what I would consider In spring, consider an air layer somewhere in the upper half of the straight section. Then you will have 2 trees, each of which was half as expensive :)
Then oevr time you probably need to reduce the branches in length. But that is next year. For this year, I would let it grow unrestricted. Then in winter trim the lower branches, leaving the crown. That will help to get rooting in spring for your air layer.Think it over.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Travi51