Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

First ever Pruning of first ever bonsai. Thoughts? 6 years 8 months ago #34578

• GrahamD
  • GrahamD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey there lovely people.

My wife recently decided to buy a bonsai. And I've kinda taken over after reading and watching many many videos on the YouTubes.

We grabbed a larch pseudolarox amabilis from a local garden center. I've since been watering and fertilizing the plant. And it showed great growth over the last couple of weeks. As its early summer here in UK. I read on countless threads about the importance of pruning and shaping and to do it early on. So I ordered some tools and gave it a haircut this afternoon.

It was a little nerve wracking to be honest. And I was daunted about doing anything that may damage the tree.

I also found that it was difficult to try and see the shape of tree that I wanted etc.

So I really took my time and removed a lot of branches that were either crossing over others or ones that seemed to make the tree look cluttered.

So I am posting some before and after pictures here in the hope of some more seasoned folks opinions and thoughts.

Did I cut off too much? Etc. I have some wire arriving in the next couple of days and will begin to try and shape the tree for a bit more style. So again advice on anything that you peeps may think would work or look great would be heavily appreciated.

Thanks all

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First ever Pruning of first ever bonsai. Thoughts? 6 years 8 months ago #34582

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Welcome!

To be honest, i am not sure why you trimmed it. Often people have a plan for development. What us your aim with this plant for tje duture?

Next time, ask first do afterwards.

The plant should get any adverse rewponse here. Thats fine.

First ever Pruning of first ever bonsai. Thoughts? 6 years 8 months ago #34584

• GrahamD
Thanks for the rapid reply.

I trimmed it to try and figure out how to maximize it's shaping for the future really, I also thought it was a good thing for the tree to stimulate growth? Plus I read that freeing up the trunk would allow more light into it etc.

I aim to wire it soon. To try and get some more shape to these branches.

Do you think it was a bad idea to trim it down? Or was I just a bit premature with it?

Thanks for your help btw. Appreciate it.

First ever Pruning of first ever bonsai. Thoughts? 6 years 8 months ago #34602

• Travi51
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 35
I agree with lb. I would have left it alone. With it growing strong the trunk would get thicker over time then work on branches, one thing I can see from the pic is that it's an "S" shape, with this Chinese style of movement you want branches on the outside of the curves instead of the inside. Other than that the tree looks healthy, but I wouldn't wire it just yet as the branches are quite thin. I would work on ramifications be for wire so you have more to work with and less chance of breaking the branch when applying the wire.

First ever Pruning of first ever bonsai. Thoughts? 6 years 8 months ago #34606

• GrahamD
Thanks so much for getting back to me with your advice. I'm a proper newbie to Bonsai, as in, other than having kept Chilli plants and a couple of hanging baskets, this is a completely new thing for me. I am trying to read, watch as much informative stuff as I can find to understand and learn more about this amazing art. So I appreciate the help here. I have already started looking into Chinese styling, to try and get a better understanding of how that works and looks. (I also had to google what Ramification meant in terms of Bonsai - I know, probably not good to admit). So both these things have helped me further my education here.

And like any good newbie, I shall heed your advice. I shall continue to water/feed the plant. I shall refrain from wiring and concentrate on growing the smaller branches out.
Should I basically leave the tree to grow then, i.e don't prune it at all, until it is much larger? Or is it a good idea to try and keep it neat as it grows? with light pruning. Obviously that won't be for a while now though.

Again, really appreciate the comments and assistance folks.

First ever Pruning of first ever bonsai. Thoughts? 6 years 8 months ago #34617

• Travi51
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 35
Light pruning is ok, prune the new shoots as they begin to shoot out, this will help with dinser foliage pads and will help to making your branches thicker over time. As was told to me you can always do things later to the tree but you cannot undo what you do now.

First ever Pruning of first ever bonsai. Thoughts? 6 years 8 months ago #34641

• GrahamD
Very sound advice. Thank you again. Been a great help to me.

First ever Pruning of first ever bonsai. Thoughts? 6 years 7 months ago #35079

• Claudiu
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 25
Just beware of the potting mix if it,s not kept outside. If it s indoor or on a balcony you need to use good draining soil otherwise you will have big problems in the wintertime. Get some good potting mix like akadama, just don t change it in the summmer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GrahamD

First ever Pruning of first ever bonsai. Thoughts? 6 years 7 months ago #35081

• GrahamD
Ahh this is great thank you for recommending Akadama - I have been looking for a good premixed soil for a while. I am extremely aware that the soil my trees are currently in is not right. The soil stays wet for ages and the draining when watering takes a long time too. I am currently having a couple of pest issues too and I believe I caused this by keeping the soil too wet and the addition of humidity trays and daily misting. (Told you all I was a noob).
I picked up a chinese Elm recently, beautiful tree. But I seem to have fungus gnats now on that, and I recently have discovered A white cotton like ball under a piece of the bark on my Larch here. I can't seem to figure out if it spider mites (Although shook the tree onto white paper and nothing dropped off). Or some other nasty fungal thing.Just one ball of it under the bend in the trunk, it appears to have gotten under the bark somehow. So if you know anything that may help, I would appreciate it. I shall attach a picture in a moment.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by GrahamD.

First ever Pruning of first ever bonsai. Thoughts? 6 years 7 months ago #35082

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
I would probably have pruned sooner but as you did not have then you could not. They do grow quite rapidly in the summer, and need to be kept in check if they have a shape, unlike this one. The soil looks poor, so I would re pot next spring. Do not attempt to keep this inside, it will not survive. Depending on where you are in the UK, there may be a club close to you which you will find a useful source of cheap material. Garden Centres do not usually look after plants well, but this one looks in reasonable condition.

• Page: