TOPIC:

some bonsai projects 6 years 3 months ago #36764

• crent89
  • crent89's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230
here are some more trees im working on.
one is a crassula ovata ive had for a while. its surprises me how easily the trunk and branches bend on these things. i still dont know where im going with this but kinda experimenting with it. i did some pinching and pruning and i finally see some budding going on so im hoping i can get more branches out this thing.

the next one is a manzanita tree i got for free at a yard sale with wire and all. lady said it was her sons and left it behind. im gonna remove all the wiring but i have absolutely no clue what to do with this thing or if it even has potential. lol do you guess have any suggestions on how i can maybe style this thing. im still very new to bonsai and i cant picture anything here. but for free i figured i can try something here and learn more. ANY advice or suggestions please, i am open to all and can use the help.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

some bonsai projects 6 years 3 months ago #36765

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
here is the manzanita i was talking about

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: Post by crent89.

some bonsai projects 6 years 3 months ago #36797

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
C Ovata is not reallly suitable for bonsai to be honest. The branches can be bent easily because they are not really woody. They are succulants an rigidity of the branches is based on water pressure, for the most part. As such, they are hard to convince to be shaped in a specific form. As branches get older, the foliage pgets too heavy and they start to droop..

The manzanita.. Lucky you. i would love to have one, but it is too wet here. I understand they can be tricky with their roots, and do best in hot climates, such as mexico, southern USA, spain ,italy
The following user(s) said Thank You: crent89

some bonsai projects 6 years 3 months ago #36803

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

C Ovata is not reallly suitable for bonsai to be honest.

i have noticed that when i take the wiring off branches don't seem to stay in place to much so thanks cause that explains it all. lol i have seen some nice pictures floating around on the internet. so i figure i give it a shot but now that you say that I'm not going to expect much. my father in law has a few in his backyard and on one the trunk is like 4in thick and man that thing looks killer.

manzanita.. Lucky you. i would love to have one, but it is too wet here. I understand they can be tricky with their roots, and do best in hot climates, such as mexico, southern USA, spain ,italy

yes i always wanted one of these and glad i got it for free. i personally wanted one a little older but i guess this will do for now. I'm pretty excited now just need to figure out what to do with it. any suggestions on styling? I'm in southern california so we def get the hot weather over 100* here in the summer so it shouldn't have a problem

Last edit: Post by crent89.

some bonsai projects 6 years 3 months ago #36847

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
this is a new juniper nana i woke up to this christmas morning. probably my favorite present this year lol. its a 11yr old juniper about 12inches tall.

This message has an attachment image.

some bonsai projects 6 years 3 months ago #36848

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
If you want it to stay alive, you move it outside..

some bonsai projects 6 years 3 months ago #36850

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

If you want it to stay alive, you move it outside..

yes thats the plan. it was only placed there as my gift for xmas morning. it is now outside with my other projects.

• Page: