TOPIC:

My first Maple ever! 2 years 6 months ago #72245

• Albas
  • Albas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 283
Hey ppl.

After searching for some time, I found a person nearby (1h travel) that has a nursery focused on Acers, (since in my region seems to be cold enough on winter for them to be healthy), and I bought this little Acer Palmatum.

(I want to be able to propagate in the future, and even planting one on the ground, but for now I'm focusing on learn about it, since it's my first Maple.)

As you can see it still dormant, and it can seem big by the picture, but the tree itself is only 10cm high, he told me its a bit more than a year old by now.
He also gave me some instructions about how he proceeds with his plants and positioning, and I've been reading a lot about them.

Do you guys see anything that I should mind right away, as we are about 20 days from spring, like sliding it to a bigger pot, or anything?

Cheers!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Albas.

My first Maple ever! 2 years 6 months ago #72251

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
to be honest, I have some health concerns for this maple.
You are aware of the dead branches?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Albas

My first Maple ever! 2 years 6 months ago #72252

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey LB.
Thanks for responding.
Yes, I see the dead points where it was prunned last time, I don't think it should be a problem, since they are dead only after the buds. I think it was just poorly (or large scale) prunned.

I bought a knob cutter, soon as it arrive, and as it's out of dormancy, I will give a better finish on those...

My first Maple ever! 2 years 6 months ago #72264

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Just to add, it's color seems faded because of the camera light adjustment, it seems more vibrant to the eye...

But I noticed that today, it's little buds are a bit bigger and with a vibrant red color, I think next week or so it may have leafs.

I've read a recomendation about spraying them with copper sulfate right before spring, however this recomendation is for Deshojo, and mine is not a Deshojo...

Is there anything I should do, or just let it be?

My first Maple ever! 2 years 6 months ago #72268

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Just let it get used to your conditions. No prunning no styling, no repotting.

My first Maple ever! 2 years 6 months ago #72269

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 600
I would put it in the ground, or in a plain clay pot with bigger diameter but not so deep, and let it grow.

It is very tempting to start doing all the bonsai things to it, but much better would be to let it grow, let it get used to its new home and location, and see let a bunch of limbs grow and get bigger. The one bonsai thing you should do right now is start reading in the Bonsai Tree Care section of Techniques and then the rest of Techniques. Read up on fertilizer.

Well, actually, I would cut the dead nubs off.

And, last but not least, but it in the sun.

My first Maple ever! 2 years 6 months ago #72270

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Tropfrog, I'll let it rest. :) Thanks

Hey Ivan, I do have in mind that I won't do any Bonsaish thing on it for a while, hahaha, my only temptation at the moment is to see it growing well, so any procedure would be aiming that (in case it was needed).

About planting on the ground, I do have some places to do so, but I'm planning to do that in the future, after I have propagated it, so I can feel safer about that idea. Plus, I don't have much experience about ground care, and ground placement (since sunlight path changes during the year), but yes, that's something a plan for some trees in the future...

About cutting the dead nubs off, I think my standard prunner wouldn't be the propper tool to do so, and since I bought a knob cutter (very happy about this, because some of my trees was really needing it), I'm gonna wait until it's adapted...

It's on almost full sun, doesn't take much of morning sun, but the whole afternoon sun, I was just a bit concerned about the peak (12~13h), but may not be a problem yet (26ºC this afternoon), for the summer, I'll make a shadow net spot for it (and a few other heat sensible plants).

Last edit: Post by Albas.

My first Maple ever! 2 years 6 months ago #72281

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Yes, I see the dead points where it was prunned last time, I don't think it should be a problem, since they are dead only after the buds. I think it was just poorly (or large scale) prunned.

I hope so for you. But I am not convinced. Lets wait for leaves.

My first Maple ever! 2 years 6 months ago #72296

• Si Guy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 18
I recently got 4 of the same kind of tree. There are 6 ish mounths pls and one of them still only has 2 leaves. I am concerned that when they drop there leaves for winter they will not survive. What should I do? I think maybe I am doing something wrong. There have not really grown at all. I am keeping them inside because I have problems with animals eating all of my other plants so maybe that is wrong? Any suggestions are welcome thanks.

My first Maple ever! 2 years 6 months ago #72298

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
Correct! Maples cannot tollerate living room conditions, they will just slowly weaken and die in winter or spring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Si Guy