Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Black Spruce collected this fall 1 year 10 months ago #76703

• FrankC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 160
Your tamaracks looks like a larch to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Black Spruce collected this fall 1 year 10 months ago #76704

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351

Tamarack is a larch. Namelly Larix laricina. Common names include tamarack, hackmatack, eastern larch, black larch, red larch, or American larch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback, FrankC

Black Spruce collected this fall 1 year 10 months ago #76705

• Si Guy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 18

Tamarack is a larch. Namelly Larix laricina. Common names include tamarack, hackmatack, eastern larch, black larch, red larch, or American larch.

They are actually two different trees. Larch is larger than tamarack. Larch also lived twice as long.

Black Spruce collected this fall 1 year 10 months ago #76709

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

They are actually two different trees. Larch is larger than tamarack. Larch also lived twice as long.

So we are talking two different Tamaracks? Which species is the Tamarack you are thinking of?

Black Spruce collected this fall 1 year 10 months ago #76715

• Si Guy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Larch is Larix occidentalis, Tamarack is Larix laricina. Since they are in the same genus, people use the names interchangeably, but they are two different types.

Last edit: Post by Si Guy.

Black Spruce collected this fall 1 year 10 months ago #76716

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I will not start a discussion about correct common names for plants as there are no such thing. I can just conclude that all below names are accepted and commonly used:

tamarack, hackmatack, eastern larch, black larch, red larch, or American larch.

All pinus is called pines, all picea are called spruce, all qyercus is called Oak. So I see no issue in calling all larix larch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback

Black Spruce collected this fall 1 year 10 months ago #76717

• Si Guy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

I will not start a discussion about correct common names for plants as there are no such thing. I can just conclude that all below names are accepted and commonly used:

tamarack, hackmatack, eastern larch, black larch, red larch, or American larch.

All pinus is called pines, all picea are called spruce, all qyercus is called Oak. So I see no issue in calling all larix larch.

I agree.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

Black Spruce collected this fall 1 year 5 months ago #78440

• JPH
  • JPH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 21
Tamarack IS a larch. Larix Laricina. "Tamarack" is just what we call it up here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

Black Spruce collected this fall 1 year 5 months ago #78442

• JPH
  • JPH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 21
Sorry about that. I didn't realize so many people already replied. And by the time I noticed I couldn't edit the post. Didn't mean to sound snarky.

Anyway. Figured I'd update you on the trees. Not great news I'm afraid. I made a post about it over on BonsaiNut but I figured I'd post it here for the sake of honesty and consistency. I don't believe in hiding my mistakes.

In a nutshell, all of my spruce except for one died over the summer. They were doing fairly well up until the heat really kicked in and they slowly declined one by one. We came to the conclusion that they were not overwintered properly and the weaker trees suffered root damage. I also think I was too rough with the roots of some of the trees (they were not anchored adequately and rocked a lot in the wind... not good!) . That coupled with a less-than-adequate substrate were the likely culprits. My tamarack clump did very well however, so it seemed not to mind the cold OR the substrate.

As it stands, I have one Black Spruce and the Tamarack clump. Both did very well all growing season and have set buds for next year. They will be spending the winter in our unheated porch for added protection.

Things I've changed:
1) I managed to track down a source of pumice in my province at a reasonable price. No more fir bark!
2) The surviving spruce was planted and anchored much more securely than the others. It survived just fine and put on new growth.
3) My trees will be spending the winter in the unheated porch, not buried in the snow. Eventually I want a greenhouse, but that's going to have to wait.

I feel bad about the death of those trees, but they were collected from areas that are going to be developed for housing/infrastructure anyway... It still stings though!

Black Spruce collected this fall 1 year 5 months ago #78444

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I very much appreciate your honesty. It sure points out that collection of wild trees is not easy and should not be atempted by beginner without supervision of more experienced bonsai artists. When you have made a few successful repotting and root reduction on nurcery stock trees you get the feel for it. Then it gets easier. I have been doing bonsai for 7 years now and still it seems like I am stuck at 50% success rate on collecting trees. Not good enough to risk collection of those really awsome and very old ones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPH