Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Hawaiian Umbrella Tree 12 years 11 months ago #191

• babybirdsfunk
  • babybirdsfunk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

I just got this tree in the mail today and was so excited, I pruned it before taking a picture(it looked just like it did on Amazon.com). One of the branches I meant to keep, came off and I attempted to side graft it to the trunk.

Since I didn't see this species posted on the forum yet, I decided to post it in hopes people could help me with suggestions throughout the growing process (I am relatively new to bonsai, any advice helps).

Your help is much appreciated!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Hawaiian Umbrella Tree 12 years 8 months ago #619

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi babybirdsfunk!

I am new to the art of Bonsai and recently joined the forum and I'm loving it! I just bought a mini Umbrella Tree ~ *Schefflera mini arboricola* just three days ago. It was sold as a regular house plant however, I'd like to try making it into a bonsai as I've read that they are suitable for this. Thanks for sharing such a great photo of yours after pruning...how are you making out with it?

I had a standard-sized Schefflera for many years and I found it quite easy to grow and responded well to being cut back...out of necessity I might add. LOL! I accidentally left it outside overnight during a heavy frost. The whole upper canopy was frozen however, it protected the lower parts. So...I just chopped it off below the damaged canopy and it sprouted new growth all down the remaining trunk and developed another lovely canopy. As long as this plant has bright, indirect light indoors it will do great. It also loves to be outside in the warm summer months as long as it is protected from direct sunlight...keep it in a shady spot.

If you have any recent photos of your Schefflera bonsai I'd luv to see them! :)
I have posted a photo of mine in the "Beginner-Help Me" section of the forum under the title "Starting all Over...Advice please?".

Leslie

Re: Hawaiian Umbrella Tree 12 years 8 months ago #641

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I really like how it's growing in a rock with a hollow instead of a pot. It looks, (and I really need to find another adjective) SOOOOOO CUUUUUUUTE!!!!!! :woohoo: More pictures, please!

Re: Hawaiian Umbrella Tree 12 years 8 months ago #646

• babybirdsfunk
thanks guys. sadly though, that plant has suffered some abuse from my roommates basketball games and i dont think the plant will make it. i do have some other plants of the same species that im working on and i could post those if you like. they aren't much to look at now, but they could have future potential.

Re: Hawaiian Umbrella Tree 12 years 8 months ago #651

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Awwwhhh...I'm so sorry you might lose this one...don't give up tho! I agree with Hannah re: your pot...I luv it! Please do share photos of your other plants and their progression. Looking forward to seeing more from you. :)

Leslie

Re: Hawaiian Umbrella Tree 12 years 8 months ago #657

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Basketball games? :blink: I don't understand... what about basketball games could possibly hurt a plant?
I agree with Leslie; don't give up! I asked the *masters* at the Indianapolis Bonsai Club meeting how they handle a dead/dying plant, and they said that they wait 6-8 months before pronouncing a tree dead. DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOUR UMBRELLA TREE!!! Bouncing back from seemingly overwhelming odds is a staple of plant life.

Re: Hawaiian Umbrella Tree 12 years 8 months ago #661

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
There is one other possible solution to the *basketball verses living plant* situation...let the air out your roomys' basketball...I'm sure they would eventually get the hint. :whistle: "lol-snort"

Leslie

Re: Hawaiian Umbrella Tree 12 years 8 months ago #729

• babybirdsfunk
yeah, the stray basket ball hit the plant and broke it off from the trunk. the sickly looking plant is the one that got hit, the others are trees i collected for future development.

This message has attachments images.

Re: Hawaiian Umbrella Tree 12 years 8 months ago #810

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Wow, I never considered duct-taping a tree! If it doesn't mend itself, however, you might consider cutting the top off and re-rooting it. If rooting works for umbrella plants, that is.

Re: Hawaiian Umbrella Tree 12 years 7 months ago #1045

• babybirdsfunk
that stuff wrapped around the tree is a type of plastic twist tie. there were two trunks growing close together and i tried tying them together in hopes that they would fuse together in the future. recently, i decided to also try growing that as a roots over rock plant. below is the picture.

This message has an attachment image.

• Page: