Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Hard pruning Azalea 6 years 8 months ago #34317

• Hunter_S
  • Hunter_S's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi,
I have recently acquired my first Azalea, which is semi trained. I have a little experience with them but only from growing small ones from nursery stock.
I would like to remove a large branch which is at the lowest part of the tree. The tree has already had it's hard prune and repot by the chap I bought it from though.
Is it still possible to remove this branch at this point in time and after having already hard pruned this season, or will it stress it and be best left until next year?
It has put out a lot of new growth and i'd rather it didn't go into a part of the tree i dont want to keep as it seems like a waste of energy to me.
I've hopefully attached a picture of the branch i'd like to remove.

Thank you

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hard pruning Azalea 6 years 8 months ago #34320

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
"it seems like a waste of energy"
Nope. Plants GET energy from foliage. So the more strong branches you have on a plant, the stronger the plant overall gets. So don't worry.

I cannot tell the health of the plant; I see no ercent picture, but noly the one after trimming. I would probably leave it on, let the plant settle and the trim next year. But I take things slow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hunter_S

Hard pruning Azalea 6 years 8 months ago #34321

• Hunter_S
  • Hunter_S's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I was in two minds as to whether to take it off now or next year, but as you have said it will only benefit the tree I shall leave it till next year now. Thank you for the reply.
I was under the impression that a trees roots supply the branches, so removing a branch would divert the water (and whatever else roots take in!) from that branch, to the rest of the tree..I do understand that removing foliage means less photosynthesis though too. The branch in question has very little foliage until the very end, it almost looks a bit dead until this point.
Did you say you cannot see the photo?

Last edit: Post by Hunter_S.
  • Page: