Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Styling maxwellii 5 years 8 months ago #43119

• leroycoutts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 25

But.. you miss sometimes detailing, more in “not sure” cases...
If it’s me alone without internet, I try to read books, reach people, and experiencing at maximum level

Yes, I know the feeling.
And I swear, after killing some trees just by following the "right" suggestions from the "right" people, I became aware of two important things: location matters, and getting to know my trees deeply is crucial.
My summers, my winters and my local trees are completely different from the ones in Europe; even my native tropicals on the same soil and placement behave differently from each other.
So...
Patience.
Get to know your trees.
Keep asking for help and/or suggestions, and I will answer if I can.

:woohoo:

Agree.. joining a local club, with people from your area will teach you a lot more of how to deal with issues that concern your climate, soil types and how trees react to them in your environment... talk to people who have done this for a long time who are physically near you for a better perspective...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Styling maxwellii 5 years 8 months ago #43120

• Felidae
  • Felidae's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236

Agree.. joining a local club, with people from your area will teach you a lot more of how to deal with issues that concern your climate, soil types and how trees react to them in your environment... talk to people who have done this for a long time who are physically near you for a better perspective...

I think you misunderstood me, Leroy. I don’t search desperately instant solution from someone on this forum, and I’m ok with soils and climate issues in my area. :) I just try to have some conversations about trees and bonsai. I believe, those are more valuable than repeatedly answering the same question in the help section.
Just simple conversations like: different experiences with same species, same with different species and so on. With a slight logic, we can find everything on the net, in books, seminars, etc... I hope this forum is not just for Ficus identification.

I’ve joined the local club in the first moment.
I’m not a big fan of unnecessary physical contact, and I believe, is enough once a month the club for me. They’re all gentle and helpful, but I don’t have contact with them, just in that day. I try to talk with members here :) Maybe many of us need to be near someone local, I’m more a lonely wolf type..

Last edit: Post by Felidae.

Styling maxwellii 5 years 8 months ago #43122

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Aw, I think I understand why.. When I said something about my lack of experience relies me the experiences of others?
That’s true. It’s just few months I started bonsai, and I couldn’t have experience a complete year (cycle) with them. I read about, or someone else tell me about, or I experience later myself. If someone is new, not necessarily means unable to make logic decisions or cannot get right consequences alone.
What happening with the Maxwellii, it’s a bit particular, cause I bled out and wired in the wrong time. That tree was around 100-120cm with triple trunk. Not a textbook example. It will be fine, cause budding like no tomorrow, just not in the expected rhythm. I’m almost sure I stunned, and now it waking up (Contrary to most of Europe, here, we’ve had more than enough rain).
As I said, it’s not a species what is much liked as bonsai, so here I have more chance to find someone who actually bonsai-ing one.

Styling maxwellii 5 years 8 months ago #43209

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

What happening with the Maxwellii, it’s a bit particular, cause I bled out and wired in the wrong time.
As I said, it’s not a species what is much liked as bonsai, so here I have more chance to find someone who actually bonsai-ing one.

Even you doing some work in the wrong time, it is not as tragic as with a pine or a juniper;
as you said, it will respond eventually, even if it takes a little time.
keep us posted on the progression!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae

Styling maxwellii 5 years 8 months ago #43210

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
By the way, I have left you a PM.

Styling maxwellii 5 years 8 months ago #43222

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Even you doing some work in the wrong time, it is not as tragic as with a pine or a juniper;
as you said, it will respond eventually, even if it takes a little time.
keep us posted on the progression!

Well, it’s rising and have crazy water intake. We’ll see if I can work on it in this year, or need to let it be for some seasons. Sure, I’ll post :) My new impossible task to get it backbudding after the next init styling. (I know! Just let me try...)

I answered to the pm, but didn’t get the link on messenger. Try with the snake profile picture plz :)

Styling maxwellii 4 years 10 months ago #49918

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The Max is survived that wrong time ordeal and I can confirm, Piceas are do back budding! Painfully slowly and unpredictable, maybe just from dormant buds (maybe...) but they do.

Aw... During repot I’ve found a 30cm circ. nebari. I think now I regret a bit Ive shaved down the third trunk, but it’ll maybe nice with the carving also.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Styling maxwellii 4 years 10 months ago #49922

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Nice little baby bud you've got there!
Take care of it, it's the future!
As for the circling roots, if you want for them to fuse maybe it's gonna be a good start for a melted nebari.

Styling maxwellii 4 years 10 months ago #49923

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Nice little baby bud you've got there!
Take care of it, it's the future!
As for the circling roots, if you want for them to fuse maybe it's gonna be a good start for a melted nebari.

Ouiii, and on the background I see peeking an other one ^^

Nope, It’s already fused. :) I cutted down X time ago the free circling ones. You can still see some lines, but the cambium fused and creates one mass. The tree had maybe two and half roots to keep it alive when I repotted. (I think it survived, just cause I listened LB and regularly sprayed the foliage. )Under the nebari it have a man palm size flat, smooth surface.