Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Trident Maple Pruning 4 years 9 months ago #51365

• seeparks
  • seeparks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 9

... dear seeparks, google the term mallsai...
I know you are enthusiastic about everything in a bonsai pot, labelled bonsai but you should really take a few steps back. Buy some ordinary native trees from your local nursery ( will cost you nothing compared to everything you buy labelled bonsai) and keep them alive. During mastering the art of keeping them alive study the bonsai basics, and slowly practice some basics like repotting - pruning- fertilising-.... Doing that you will better understand what bonsai is about.

I bought the Mallsais, as some would call them, to practice doing the basics as you mentioned. The Fukien Tea seems to be in a decent pot with a large drainage hole and the soil mix doesn't seem to be normal potting soil. The Ficus seems to be in normal potting soil without a screen to prevent the soil from coming out when it's watered; this seemed like a good candidate for me to practice repotting.

I was pretty enthusiastic as you mentioned and was looking forward to getting my hands dirty. I had planned on ordering some Bonsai soil and new pot for the Ficus tonight. However, after coming home today, I saw a horrific scene where one of my tarps blew over during a thunderstorm knocking over the Trident Maple and it fell over onto the other two plants. I checked for damage on the Maple and it seemed alright; there were no obvious signs of damage except a leaf was ripped off and lodged into the Fukien Tea's branches. Luckily the Maple didn't topple all the way over as I found it resting on the rim of its pot and the soil all over the deck. The Ficus took the worse of the damage and came out of its pot when the Maple fell on it. So far I've put it back in its pot with the original soil. Hopefully the Bonsais / Mallsais will be alright and the Ficus won't die on me when I get my hands on some supplies to repot it...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by seeparks.

Trident Maple Pruning 4 years 7 months ago #52452

• GreenGo
  • Thanks received: 6
Good luck see parks. I am a rookie at best but the maple looks like it has lots of potential

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: