TOPIC:

Mugo pine styling. 4 years 6 months ago #53280

• Tropfrog
  • Tropfrog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
Ok, lb have convinced me to make my first post on a tree.

I am not really into bonsai and this tree is not one. I am into miniatyrization of trees and that is what I am trying to achive. Anyone adding negative vibes to this thread will clearly but politelly be asked not to post.

This tree was my first tree that i purshased with the intention to keep in a pot. It was a little more than 3 years ago. It is a mugo pine "carstens wintergold".

First summer it was cleaned up and repotted. Second spring it was my first attempt to style. This variant is were sensitive to insulting, so I didnt go all the way. This summer has shown good growth and healthy tree. So, I figured it is time to do some more work on it. If the tree shows healthy growth next summer it Will be repotted again. Maybe in a smaller pot.

So....In my opinion the branch growing low in the back is too thick and interupts with the other branches that I would like to keep. However taking it out will destroy much of the deapth in the tree. So that needs to be descided.

Also the first branch to the right is actually three branches from the same spot. I think that two of Them needs to go.

And third, the tree is still too high in my opinion. It needs shortening in some way. That is my third desicion to make.

But since this variant is quite sensitive to pruning. I might not want to do it all now. So a forth desicion has to be made.

How would you approach this?

Br
Magnus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mugo pine styling. 4 years 6 months ago #53281

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Second try to add the picture.

Br
Magnus

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Mugo pine styling. 4 years 6 months ago #53282

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Better photos on the most problematic place. First branches from the "front" and from above:

This message has attachments images.

Mugo pine styling. 4 years 6 months ago #53290

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
After two hours just staring at the tree i made the desicion to keep some desicions for the future. Taking away the old top, 1 out of three branches to the right and shorten the back branch.

I know it is a little cowardish. But I have been warned about this cultivar. It is very sensitive to pruning. So this is how it looks now. I guess the next post will be in two years or so, if it is Alive. So I will have lot of time staring at it and make the final design.

Br
Magnus

This message has an attachment image.

Mugo pine styling. 4 years 6 months ago #53308

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
So, yea. Lots of posts about People not posting on their trees and projects. But not much feedback when I actually do that. Makes no sence to me, really.

Br
Magnus

Mugo pine styling. 4 years 6 months ago #53386

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
In fact I can't help at all.
Mugo pines and JWP don't grow at all in our weather, so no experience whatsoever.
But... It looks nice, lots of movement going on.
Smallish though, it will be more impressive when the trunk gets wider and thicker, a few years down the road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tropfrog

Mugo pine styling. 4 years 6 months ago #53390

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yea,this is a young nurcery stock plant, I have no hurry. I have more refined trees as well. But I find the ones that have a long term plan more interesting and spend more time on planning and executing. To me the process of creating is more interesting than the process of maintaining.

Spent 5 years of development on a hard coral reef aquarium. When it was perfect, I made a lot of money on the excess growth. But I got tired after just 2 years. People told me I was crazy to sell it. But the process was done and not much more to imrove.

BR
Magnus

Mugo pine styling. 4 years 6 months ago #53394

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

So, yea. Lots of posts about People not posting on their trees and projects. But not much feedback when I actually do that. Makes no sence to me, really.

Well.. You did ask people to not put anything negative on here. I do not know how to respond to this. Because all I have are points that can be taken as negative.

Mugo pine styling. 4 years 6 months ago #53396

• Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 927
Hi Magnus, could you perhaps draw a virtual as to where are you heading with this?
Thank you.

Mugo pine styling. 4 years 6 months ago #53399

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Well.. You did ask people to not put anything negative on here. I do not know how to respond to this. Because all I have are points that can be taken as negative.

Thanks for your kind input. Then we borth agree that it is no point of you posting again.I think it is a big progress when you and me agree :)

BR
Magnus