Bonsai forum

Need help with 2 trees (Japanese maple)(snowkist Cypress)

• B4kedP0tato
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Need help with 2 trees (Japanese maple)(snowkist Cypress) was created by B4kedP0tato

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #33055
Hi I just bought a Japanese maple to use as a bonsai later on. My question is should it be in a bigger pot and should i trim the top of to promote growth at the lower parts or just let it keep growing? If I do chop off part of the top how far up 3ft?

How long do you think until I should start trimming the bigger leaves and some of the branches to start styling it? Do you think 3-5 years should be good? I will probably get a bigger pot for it next year as well. I don't have access to plant it in the ground.

As for the Cypress does the trunk look thick enough to start styling or should I wait and years for this one as well or should it be okay to start shaping and trimming?
by B4kedP0tato

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Need help with 2 trees (Japanese maple)(snowkist Cypress)

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #33058
Hard to tell. Plants grow differently for different people. Everything, from climate to care, pot or full soil, sunny, dry, fertilized etc affect plant growth. The only thing to say is that you are looking at a lot of time.

First decide how tall a tree you would like. That will tell you the trunk you ned (6-12 times the trunk thickness is the height of the tree).
Then decide which style
Then keep into account that for most styles you want some bends in the trunk: It is VERY straight now.
Cutting leaves is only something to do in the later stages. Think a decade from now.

I am not sure your cypress is a cypress. I think it is chameacyparis. Again: You habve to decide it is thick anough. See above.
by leatherback

• konlabos
  • Thanks received: 6

Replied by konlabos on topic Need help with 2 trees (Japanese maple)(snowkist Cypress)

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #33122
leatherback...Is it good that maple tree is in air layering for now?
Because I see great potential if in the air layering to get some new maple material.
Rather than having to cut and throw it away. thank you...
by konlabos

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by leatherback on topic Need help with 2 trees (Japanese maple)(snowkist Cypress)

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #33123

konlabos wrote: leatherback...Is it good that maple tree is in air layering for now?
Because I see great potential if in the air layering to get some new maple material.

On this forum it is considered impoilte to start your own topic in someone elses thread.Please start your own.
by leatherback

• Enaisio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 67

Replied by Enaisio on topic Need help with 2 trees (Japanese maple)(snowkist Cypress)

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #33126
I think he means the op's maple :)
by Enaisio

• konlabos
  • Thanks received: 6

Replied by konlabos on topic Need help with 2 trees (Japanese maple)(snowkist Cypress)

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #33129

leatherback wrote:

konlabos wrote: leatherback...Is it good that maple tree is in air layering for now?

On this forum it is considered impoilte to start your own topic in someone elses thread.Please start your own.

I mean maple tree in this forum.
by konlabos

• B4kedP0tato
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by B4kedP0tato on topic Need help with 2 trees (Japanese maple)(snowkist Cypress)

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #33135
Should I wait till the branch is thicker before doing air layering on the maple?
by B4kedP0tato

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #33148
OK, that was completely unclear to me. The sapling in this post is too thin and unintereting to create new plants from, in my opinion.

Layering can be done in early to mid spring. Later might get you into trouble when you want to separate.
by leatherback

• B4kedP0tato
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by B4kedP0tato on topic Need help with 2 trees (Japanese maple)(snowkist Cypress)

Posted 6 years 11 months ago #33163
Thanks for all the input guys!
by B4kedP0tato