Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

How to Thicken Chinese Elm Canopy (and trunk)? 6 years 9 months ago #33713

• Valkyrie2271
  • Valkyrie2271's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I really like the thick-looking pads in this image: www.dallasbonsai.com/v/vspfiles/images/tomMar05_2.jpg

What is the best way to thicken the canopy of my Chinese Elm?

Also, to stop the tree from looking too disproportionate, I think it'd be a good idea to thicken the trunk. How would I go about doing that? I read that having the tree in open soil would help this, but I'm not too confident with doing that, and having a couple of young dogs around would worry me slightly.

I'm only a beginner, so please go easy on the advanced terminology

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to Thicken Chinese Elm Canopy (and trunk)? 6 years 9 months ago #33718

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

How to Thicken Chinese Elm Canopy (and trunk)? 6 years 9 months ago #33721

• Valkyrie2271
  • Valkyrie2271's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
So regular pruning will cause the branches to back bud, thickening the canopy?

I keep seeing different advice for maintenance pruning Chinese Elms, some saying every 2-3 months and others saying 1-2 times a year. Would you be able to clear this up?

And, should the top + sides be pruned more often / vigorously to ensure even growth?

Last edit: Post by Valkyrie2271.

How to Thicken Chinese Elm Canopy (and trunk)? 6 years 9 months ago #33733

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

So regular pruning will cause the branches to back bud, thickening the canopy?

Proper pruning will create ramification, which will create more branches and more leaves, making the canopy fuller.

I keep seeing different advice for maintenance pruning Chinese Elms, some saying every 2-3 months and others saying 1-2 times a year. Would you be able to clear this up?

Hmm.. not too experienced with Chinese elms. I prune the first flush (when it has hardened off), then I prune again when new shoots have fully grown, if / when needed. I do not prune where I need more girth / longer branches etc.

And, should the top + sides be pruned more often / vigorously to ensure even growth?

No, you prune where and when it is necessary. Depending on the shape of the tree, you will let a branch / branches grow freely to get more tapering,
You may want to let branches grow freely to develop them, then cut them back, let them grow again, also to get tapering.
A bit much to explain in a forum post; keep studying, there are many sites with in depth information.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valkyrie2271

Last edit: Post by Auk.
  • Page: