Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

《"Bonsai" Paludarium》(Crazy man's project!) 4 years 5 months ago #53054

• Koisai
  • Koisai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 8
I've been a lurker here for a while but didn't bother posting anything, because I didn't have anything worthy of posting yet!

I'm an aquascaper and bonsai lover, so I decided to combine the two arts by creating a paludarium. TECHNICALLY, there will be no bonsai involved, sorry guys! No pot! But I will essentially be practicing bonsai, except the pot is a island surrounded by water. ;) I suppose the correct name would be 堀の木 (Hori no ki). Can I just call it a bonsai, or will that anger the bonsai gods?

Alright, enough chatter. Now for the specs.

I'm going to be using either fukien tea or ginseng ficus as my stock... maybe chinese elm. I don't really have a lot of options because I'm growing indoors. It's unfortunate, I know. Ficus is probably the best option but I'm not a fan of it. I might start from a more mature stock but I'm still thinking about it. I'll be lighting using full spectrum LED. If anyone has specific lighting suggestions I'm all ears. The aquarium will be a 48x24x12in custom rimless tank. I'm going to try to make the island be about 12x12 of soil at least, but the best I can do is keep the plant shohin size. Here's the problem though. Repotting. Watering. Root rot. All the fun stuff. I'm scratching my head wondering how I'm going to take care of these things. My best idea is to have the tree potted and the pot hidden away in the rock elevated above the water. The holes in the pot will be plumbed throught the rock and will exit the backside, out of view (I am used to plumbing hardscape). The only issue is I still don't know if that will be enough. I guess we will see. The island will probably be another 10-12 inches out of the water.
As for the aquatic elements, I'll be planting the tank with monte carlo, java moss, Crypt Wendtii, and Staurogyne Repens. The hardscape will be a lot lot of seiryu stone (which will also make up the outer layer of the island). The only livestock will be goldenback neocaridina shrimp and chinese algae eaters.

I could really use a lot of advice about how I can design the island to be safe for the bonsai as well. I'll try to create some sketches within the next few weeks and see what you guys think. I probably won't start the project for a few months, so I have plenty of time to work out kinks.

I know I'm crazy but I at least wat to try it! Even if the bonsai fails I'll still have a hell of an paludarium anyways. :) Wish me luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

《"Bonsai" Paludarium》(Crazy man's project!) 4 years 5 months ago #53055

• Koisai
Just to clarify, I am aware what I am attempting will not be real bonsai discipline. I will not be using the same methods I would for my true bonsai. Really it will just be (I hope) a decent looking branch on an island, LOL. I'm hoping to get a little nebari but other then that I'm not expecting to do any real styling or to make a masterpiece. I just want to be able to enjoy a little tree from the comforts of my home while also appreciating the scale and beauty of the aquascape.
Thank you for your patience!

Last edit: Post by Koisai.

《"Bonsai" Paludarium》(Crazy man's project!) 4 years 5 months ago #53056

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Can I just call it a bonsai, or will that anger the bonsai gods?

Fine with me. 'Bonsai' is often translated as 'tree in pot', but that's not a good translation, it does not convey the meaning of the word.
I've heard the 'translation': 'Living in a shallow plain' which is probably closer. You can have trees on slabs or rocks so yeah... why not on an island.

However:

I could really use a lot of advice about how I can design the island to be safe for the bonsai as well.

I expect you will get very little advice. Most people grow bonsai outdoors. Most do not use grow-lights. None that I'm aware of grows them in aquariums.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

《"Bonsai" Paludarium》(Crazy man's project!) 4 years 5 months ago #53061

• Koisai

Can I just call it a bonsai, or will that anger the bonsai gods?

Fine with me. 'Bonsai' is often translated as 'tree in pot', but that's not a good translation, it does not convey the meaning of the word.
I've heard the 'translation': 'Living in a shallow plain' which is probably closer. You can have trees on slabs or rocks so yeah... why not on an island.

However:

I could really use a lot of advice about how I can design the island to be safe for the bonsai as well.

I expect you will get very little advice. Most people grow bonsai outdoors. Most do not use grow-lights. None that I'm aware of grows them in aquariums.

Well, thanks for the fair warning. I guess I'll have to figure it out myself.
I saw a grand total of 3 paludariums that had "bonsai" in them, and although 2 of them were mallsai, they did provide me with some insight and the assurance that at least it's possible.

Well, I guess I'm off to do some serious thinking! :)

《"Bonsai" Paludarium》(Crazy man's project!) 4 years 5 months ago #53062

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
I happen to be a glass box enthusiast as well. Even tho my stock of glass tanks are far less than my stock of trees.

For the substrate I would recommend to dig into bioactive terrarium/vivarium/palladium. That is The solution for substrate that lasts very long without changing.

For the tree, i would still recommend to keep it in a pot and change the substrate once in a while.

Anyway, this is not the right forum for deeper discussions about paludariums. You can try dendroboard, i know there are at least one discussion about bonsai trees there.

Good luck
Magnus

《"Bonsai" Paludarium》(Crazy man's project!) 4 years 5 months ago #53063

• Koisai

I happen to be a glass box enthusiast as well. Even tho my stock of glass tanks are far less than my stock of trees.

For the substrate I would recommend to dig into bioactive terrarium/vivarium/palladium. That is The solution for substrate that lasts very long without changing.

For the tree, i would still recommend to keep it in a pot and change the substrate once in a while.

Anyway, this is not the right forum for deeper discussions about paludariums. You can try dendroboard, i know there are at least one discussion about bonsai trees there.

Good luck
Magnus

It's a thread for tracking my progress not necessary for deep discussion on paludariums (I am confident in my paludarium capabilities). Thought the members here may appreciate the art but who knows. ;)
Glad to see other glass box person here.

《"Bonsai" Paludarium》(Crazy man's project!) 4 years 5 months ago #53064

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Thought the members here may appreciate the art but who knows. ;)

It's a bit like Penjing, and Mimo has posted some great results with that. So yeah, sure.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

《"Bonsai" Paludarium》(Crazy man's project!) 4 years 5 months ago #53066

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Good luck
Magnus

It's a thread for tracking my progress not necessary for deep discussion on paludariums (I am confident in my paludarium capabilities). Thought the members here may appreciate the art but who knows. ;)

Dont get me wrong. I am looking forward for the uppdates.

I am into bonsai because my garden cannot fit many more full size trees. I keep arboreal geckos in my vivarium. But I only use dead Wood for the lizards and epifytes. With Theese two hobbies, I would not be suppriced if there are a tank with living tree in my home in the future. I rely on you to inspire me now :)

Br
Magnus

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

《"Bonsai" Paludarium》(Crazy man's project!) 4 years 5 months ago #53067

• Koisai

Good luck
Magnus

Dont get me wrong. I am looking forward for the uppdates.

I am into bonsai because my garden cannot fit many more full size trees. I keep arboreal geckos in my vivarium. But I only use dead Wood for the lizards and epifytes. With Theese two hobbies, I would not be suppriced if there are a tank with living tree in my home in the future. I rely on you to inspire me now :)

Br
Magnus

We'll see how this works out and then you should try, I'd love to see how that would work.

Anyways, getting to sketching... I think I need to rethink some things because an 8 inch pot is very small. I've never disciplined a bonsai that small :unsure:

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

《"Bonsai" Paludarium》(Crazy man's project!) 4 years 5 months ago #53068

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I really like the drawing! Nice scape and concept. Looking forward to see it come true.

Br
Magnus

• Page: