• Page:

TOPIC:

Meika 12 years 7 months ago #1498

• BassandBonsai
  • BassandBonsai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0
I have told you guys about my azalea seed failures in previous posts, but here is the gist of it:

They were my first bonsai purchase ever- a miniature azalea seed kit that came with a little blue pot, some soil, and some seeds. I waited the standard month (as per the instructions) and then another month before finally caving in and contacting the company. I received a new set of seeds in the mail recently, and contacted the Azalea Society of America for tips on not killing anything again. I got some great advice that I'm eager to try out, but in the meantime, there is something that is puzzling me.

"All azalea with interesting flowers can be grown in meika style. It is similar to bonsai, but the aesthetics have little to do with miniature ancient trees and all to do with flowers."

That was an excerpt from an e-mail I received in response to my questions, and now I'm really curious. What exactly is meika? Supposedly the direct translation is "celebrated flower", but what makes a meika a meika? And furthermore, what makes a meika a good meika?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Meika 12 years 6 months ago #1508

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
howdy B&B,

the trees are not grow for the trunk and branches to be admired as in bonsai, it is strictly for flower presentation. mums are also used for this style of growing

Re: Meika 12 years 6 months ago #1517

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Hey Hanna :)
I hope school is going well.
It sounds like they are more interested in the flowers being the focal point, not the trunk or nebari...so to grow it as an accent plant. I guess?
I can't find any information in "meika" either. :(

Re: Meika 12 years 6 months ago #1524

• BassandBonsai
  • BassandBonsai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0
Oh well. I might be able to ask my Japanese teacher about it, but she has a pretty strict policy about not asking her to identify "random Japanese words" as she's not a native speaker.
I'm still a little curious, but if there's no info on it outside of Japan, then there's not much point growing one besides personal enjoyment. I like a balanced tree anyway, plus I can always just get regular, unshaped garden stock if I want brilliant blooms.
I think I'll save school discussion for the bonsai cafe. ;)

Re: Meika 12 years 6 months ago #1535

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
Hannah,
If you want to make an azalea bonsai, you should do it.
I have seen many of them on the internet,so I know it can be done.
Don't let anyone tell you what you can and cannot grow as a bonsai. :)

• Page: