Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Something Not Quite Right With Recent Planting 6 years 9 months ago #34332

• Wondo
  • Wondo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello,
I am new to the forum. I recently planted a Japanese Juniper (procumbrens nana). I did some mild pruning and shaping as it was already a good specimen. Only had to wire one small branch. Put the tree in Bonsai soil (3:3:3 akadama, pumice, turface.) I added just a small amount of fir bark mixed in for top soil. It has been about a week and I have it on a screened in porch where it is in the shade. I usually keep new Bonsai in the shade for about 2 weeks before putting in direct sunlight.
The problem is is that is seems like it is wilting. The needles were soft and lush to begin with not hard like most Jp. Junipers I have done. It is not taking up any water. The only thing I think I may have done wrong, is that I did not cut any roots, because the pot was big enough to accommodate.
I would like to know what to do. I am thinking I might need to repot it and cut back some roots to promote new growth, but I do not want to put too much strain on it at this point.
Also, I usually soak my trees in a light mixture of super thrive when transplanting to help reduce transplant shock. Then I put them out on the porch. The tree looks like it has potential to make it, but it is not taking up water and is sitting in wet soil and the needles look wilted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Something Not Quite Right With Recent Planting 6 years 9 months ago #34333

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I recently planted a Japanese Juniper (procumbrens nana)Put the tree in Bonsai soil (3:3:3 akadama, pumice, turface.)I have it on a screened in porch where it is in the shade. I usually keep new Bonsai in the shade for about 2 weeks before putting in direct sunlight.
I did not cut any roots, because the pot was big enough to accommodate.

I cannot find anything that you could have done wrong (except that now is maybe not the best time to repot in my climate).

I would like to know what to do. I am thinking I might need to repot it and cut back some roots

I would not do that. It will stress the plant even more.

Can you post a picture?

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Something Not Quite Right With Recent Planting 6 years 9 months ago #34334

• Wondo
Thanks. It may be hard to tell from the picture,but the needles are really soft and beginning to wilt and droop

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Something Not Quite Right With Recent Planting 6 years 9 months ago #34335

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Doesn't look like a bonsai, but otherwise it looks fine to me.

Something Not Quite Right With Recent Planting 6 years 9 months ago #34336

• Wondo
Thanks for the positive vote of confidence. I am not an expert. I plan on doing more pruning to it once it takes if it does. It needs more shaping, I know.

Something Not Quite Right With Recent Planting 6 years 9 months ago #34338

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Make sure you do not overwater it.What makes you think it doesn't take up water?

• Page: