Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Great oak 6 years 8 months ago #34713

• Pete1234
  • Pete1234's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I'm a total beginner
I planted 4 acorns spring 2016 and they are all doing well I think, I've got them in normal compost from the garden centre, was wondering if anyone could tell me the right soil mix to use when I repot them next spring? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Pete1234.

Great oak 6 years 8 months ago #34716

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I'm a total beginner
I planted 4 acorns spring 2016 and they are all doing well I think, I've got them in normal compost from the garden centre, was wondering if anyone could tell me the right soil mix to use when I repot them next spring? Thanks

Just use normal good soil for oaks. They are seedlings, not bonsai, you do not need special soil.

Great oak 6 years 6 months ago #35450

• Jimjoeb
I live in Ottawa Canada and have started an oak from an acorn. It is currently on my front porch and very healthy. I plan to bring it indoors for the winter but I'm not sure when. Do I need to let it experience fall, i.e. leaves change colour and fall, before bringing it indoors?

Great oak 6 years 6 months ago #35451

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I live in Ottawa Canada and have started an oak from an acorn. It is currently on my front porch and very healthy. I plan to bring it indoors for the winter but I'm not sure when. Do I need to let it experience fall, i.e. leaves change colour and fall, before bringing it indoors?

Don't bring it indoors - unless when it is an unheated space.

Great oak 6 years 6 months ago #35452

• Jimjoeb
It's already in a pot. I don't think that it will survive outdoors. It will be -25 C here this winter. I expect that I will need to bring it indoors at some point, it's just when that I'm wondering about.

Great oak 6 years 6 months ago #35455

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

It's already in a pot. I don't think that it will survive outdoors. It will be -25 C here this winter. I expect that I will need to bring it indoors at some point, it's just when that I'm wondering about.

Not sure what wasn't clear. Do NOT take it indoors into a heated space in winter, it is a death sentence.

Great oak 6 years 6 months ago #35456

• Jimjoeb
okay, thanks, I'll check with our provincial forestry ministry for guidance on how to ensure that the seedling survives the winter.

Great oak 6 years 6 months ago #35457

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

okay, thanks, I'll check with our provincial forestry ministry for guidance on how to ensure that the seedling survives the winter.

How do they survive in nature?
Trees do not belong indoors. Your oak must go through its cycle, loose its leaves, develop buds and grow new leaves next spring.
If you bring it indoors, it will not go through this cycle. It may grow for a while, but eventually, it will die.

I should have asked... I am not sure what kind of oak you have (I don't know what a 'Great Oak' is). Look up your species, check it's temperature tolerance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimjoeb

• Page: