Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Confusion About Watering and New Soil Type 6 years 7 months ago #35330

• Ayre333
  • Ayre333's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I have recently re-potted my Ficus tree into a new soil that I believe is better for it. However, the new type of soil I believe needs to be watered more often. I am using an Akadama/Lava Rock mix that is suggested by this website and by Eastern Leaf SoilEastern Leaf . Can someone explain to me their experience with this soil and how your tree reacted to it and its maintenance? Thank you! If you have any questions for me to answer to help solve my confussion about this new soil please ask away.

The url link will guid you to the soil I bought.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Confusion About Watering and New Soil Type 6 years 7 months ago #35331

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
I've been using a very similar substrate on my Ficus. As it is very draining, I tend to water every day usually and twice a day in the summer. I mist the Ficus also when it is summer, and it is doing very well.
If it helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ayre333

Confusion About Watering and New Soil Type 6 years 7 months ago #35334

• Ayre333
  • Ayre333's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I've been using a mister as well to keep humidity levels up to allow the roots to flourish more. And that helps to know that you are watering 2 times a day. I was concerned about the rate at which I need to apply water. Thanks for the help!

Confusion About Watering and New Soil Type 6 years 7 months ago #35346

• Franky
  • Thanks received: 14
I'm kind of similar to Clicio. I repotted mine last year into an inorganic soil mix. After a while, I got used to telling when and how often to water, as well as how long my watering was likely to last given the season/temp.

Compared to the soil it was in, I find it pretty hard to over-water in an 'open' soil mix like this. I'm now inclined to just lift the pot and feel it's weight to tell if it will need water. Obviously I check it every day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Last edit: Post by Franky.
  • Page: