Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Ficus retusa 4 years 4 months ago #54200

• Aurora88
  • Aurora88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks just looks like it’s struggling not too worry about the potting mix it’s in maybe it is a bit compact so may re pot it in spring thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ficus retusa 2 years 11 months ago #67755

• _Hollick
  • Thanks received: 0
I read that inorganic substrate makes it less likely for there to be problems regarding fungus gnats and the like. How true is this?

I’m having trouble with some larvae at the moment in my ficus. I’ve tried nematodes which didn’t help at all, so I’m going to repot it as it’s spring and have been looking at using a predominantly substrate mix rather than soil for this reason as I would rather not have this problem again straight away. There’s loads of the little things!

Ficus retusa 2 years 11 months ago #67759

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 283
There are many factors as placement and climate for example, but yes, with less organics it will dry faster, preventing fungus and such...

Just to put in context how your climate plays an important role on this:
I have all my trees outside, and my climate is Humid Subtropical, which is perfect for Ficus, even more being some of them "Ficus Organensis", that are native specifically from our region, that being said, I make their substrate with a lot of organic matter, and they love it... But that works for me, because of my climate, it's placement and so on, maybe it wouldn't do well on a more temperate zone or for a ficus being kept inside...

Last edit: Post by Albas.