• Page:

TOPIC:

Grow Boxes - Lifespan? 7 years 3 weeks ago #30012

• Bunsen33
  • Bunsen33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 43
We found the plans for building grow boxes (link below) and are planning to make a few of them for when we repot some of our trees in the spring. I know that some of the members here use and/or have made grow boxes. Do you finish or seal the wood after construction in any way? How long do your boxes typically last you? Due to our climate we have been burying the roots (in the pots) of our trees in our raised bed gardens for overwintering and the husband is concerned that burying raw wood will significantly reduce the lifespan of the grow boxes. (The weather this winter has been wacky - 21C one day and snowing 2d later, then back up to 20C. so microbial activity in the soil is likely occurring on the warmer days.) We're thinking of using something along the lines of linseed oil to treat the wood.
Thanks!

www.growingbonsai.net/built-instructions-for-a-bonsai-growbox/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Grow Boxes - Lifespan? 7 years 3 weeks ago #30038

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Often people use grow boxes for only a few years. And yes, after the few years they fall apart. Which is the reason behind using cheap wood. You can of course make a.more durable solution. But then you are really builing containers. Just a choice, i would say.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bunsen33

Grow Boxes - Lifespan? 7 years 2 weeks ago #30094

• Bunsen33
  • Bunsen33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 43
Thank you for your response Leatherback.
2 - 3 years is acceptable in my eyes, but I will also be writing papers while he is building them for me so....

• Page: