Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Thyme Cottoneaster Soil 7 years 2 weeks ago #31305

• Mars
  • Mars's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello,
I recently purchased my first serious bonsai project from a local nursery. I settled on the Thyme leaf cottoneaster because I thought it looked really nice, and I remember online that it was a fairly popular choice for bonsai. Right now it's just in normal soil with no akadama or lava rock. So, my question is what soil mixture do you guys reccomend to keep a healthy cottoneaster? I have a book that reccomends
1 part Loam
2 parts Peat
2 parts coarse Sand
But that's just a generic mixture that the book reccomends for all bonsai. Then there is the mixture that bonsai empire has as a standard mixture which is
50% Akadama
25% Pumice
25% Lava rock
I know there is a lot of variation depending on where you live and the type of tree etc. so I just felt overwhelmed with all the information. To give more information I do live in the Bay Area in California, so we do tend to have warmer summers, and some rain during the springtime. Finally I am gone from 8am-8pm with a small break where I am home at 3pm.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
-Mars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thyme Cottoneaster Soil 7 years 2 weeks ago #31310

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113
Hi Mars (cool nickname) and welcome to Earth, I mean to Bonsai Empire. Since you are in hot region without much raining and humidity, you should pick good water retention mixture, unless you can water your inorganic mixture (lava, akadama etc.) every day as it will get dry pretty quick.

Here is to your help - bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Soils.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mars

Thyme Cottoneaster Soil 7 years 2 weeks ago #31313

• Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 70
From what I read they do like a well draining soil. The question of soil is a very controversial topic. I am even trying different methods myself. What isn't controversial is they they need to drain well. I am using the following with no issue (turface, pumice, lava) (turface, pinebark fines, pumice, lava) and (soil conditioner, compost) this one is for my azaleas.

Thyme Cottoneaster Soil 7 years 2 weeks ago #31318

• Gekkie
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 14
A good draining soil is important for them. I lost my cottoneaster because I left it in the soil I bought it with from the nursery

Thyme Cottoneaster Soil 7 years 1 week ago #31333

• Enaisio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 67
Does nobody use coco in their mixture? I've been using it for 3 years along with perlite and just general gravel and it works great

Thyme Cottoneaster Soil 7 years 1 week ago #31337

• Mars
  • Mars's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you everyone for your comments, I just finished replanting last night, and I put it in a more water retaining soil because of my location but I will bring it to my local bonsai club next month to get some feedback and maybe change to a different soil depending on their guidance. I will add some pictures below for your enjoyment. Any further feedback would be appreciated.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Thyme Cottoneaster Soil 7 years 1 week ago #31492

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
So, what you have in the new soil now and what parts each? Can you share close ups?

Thyme Cottoneaster Soil 7 years 1 week ago #31493

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Does nobody use coco in their mixture? I've been using it for 3 years along with perlite and just general gravel and it works great

Can you share the recipe and close ups of your mix?

• Page: