Bonsai forum

Submissions for the trunk fusion competition
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Neli's entry. 11 years 4 months ago #7867

• Neli
  • Neli's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 6
Our summer just started, so I guess I will be a bit ahead.
I am a total newbie! Two month bonsai keeper. But watch out! I am trying to learn. He he he! And I am a very good gardener.
So watch out, if my sticks fuse at all, I am winning. (just joking!)
I have never done this before, but tomorrow I am going to go in the garden, Pick a bunch of sticks, arrange them, stick them in sand and there I go.
That is the african way to go! Climate here is good so everything You stick grows.
Wait for pictures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pieterbosch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Neli's entry. 11 years 1 month ago #8337

• Neli

I planted lots of cuttings of a ficus, but not sure if they are rooted yet...going to check them today.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Neli.

Neli's entry. 11 years 4 weeks ago #8433

• Neli
I know I am already disqualified, due to the reason that I dont have deciduous material....but that is the advise I got here on the forum...and silly me never noticed the fine print...I just noticed it today...after I have rooted already my cuttings.
All the same I am in Africa...deciduous trees dont grow here...we dont have winter...and they need cold rest period...Some grow...but are always miserable.
So here is my ficus microcarpa green island. I could not wait for it to root properly so I dug it out from the packets...washed the soil...and lined them along a conical piece of wood. Tied them around with wire...and planted them in a packet with nice mixture of compost...manure , pine bark and sand.
covered on top with some river sand...the cuttings and some more well washed river sand up to the top.
That was done since the cuttings were originally grown in river sand..and did not have much roots, so in order to protect them...from too much shock they were planted in sand, which is over the subsoil...in the hope that the roots will eventually penetrate later when established the fertile soil.
So here it is my entry in order to support the competition, and I am fully aware that disqualification is eminent and unopposed by me.
Lets all have fun!
I used 20 cuttings.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Neli's entry. 11 years 4 weeks ago #8434

• Neli
I think I might wrap them with something harder first...I fear the wire might bite in later...I shall see soon.

Neli's entry. 11 years 4 weeks ago #8448

• Vnolan
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 17
Hi Neli,

I look forward to seeing the progression on these! I didn't use wire either for the same reason, I see too many trees (grown trees) with wire scars from the fences that used to be everywhere, so I'm using something that won't leave a mark like that. I bet you can grow all kinds of interesting plants that I can't, I'm from NY state in the US where it seems sometimes like the winter never ends :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neli

Neli's entry. 11 years 4 weeks ago #8450

• Neli
You will be shocked at the things I grow here...I dont put too much care how I plant them...no root hormones...just plant more than I need.
I plant branches from trees...example: bauhinia...15-20cm diameter of branch and they grow...
Everything grows here...but pines dont like it much here.
Some junipers do well though...and back bud...on huge old trunks...and I just get big sticks from them (after removing all the leaf)...and stick them in the ground...and they shoot from top to bottom.
Somehow things grow here very well.

Neli's entry. 10 years 7 months ago #9735

• willow tree
  • Thanks received: 2
How is the plant doing right now ??!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neli

Neli's entry. 10 years 7 months ago #9739

• Neli
I don't know! I am in Japan at bonsai school. Have no idea what is happening at home. I hope to see my babies soon though.

Neli's entry. 10 years 7 months ago #9746

• sikadelic
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 10

I don't know! I am in Japan at bonsai school. Have no idea what is happening at home. I hope to see my babies soon though.

Wow. That is awesome! I am a bit jealous and hope to hear a nice write-up about your experience when you come back if you feel up to it. ;)

Neli's entry. 10 years 7 months ago #9747

• Neli
I got my diploma yesterday, but this iPad is giving me headaches posting pictures any where but facebook.I shall try to post when I get back on my blog maybe...learned a lot...and it was fun...just to put it into words.

Last edit: Post by Neli.
  • Page: