Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Beginner needs help choosing tools and resources. 6 years 7 months ago #35281

• Khesp18
  • Khesp18's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you in advance for your help. I have been a gardener for some time but just became the proud care taker of a Chinese Elm. I look forward to many years loving this little tree but need some help getting started. Can anyone recommend the first/basic tools I should purchase and brand names to consider/stay away from? This little tree will need to be repotted in the spring, but will need some pruning sooner than that as the new growth is quite long making the tree look leggy and oddly shaped. Can you recommend a fertalizer brand? There are many out there but I have read that some companies lie about what is in their products. Lastly, I would like to read up on all aspects of bonsai care but there are tons of books out there and I am not sure where to start. Any suggestions? I realize I have lots of questions in one post, but if you can offer advise on any or all of them I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Beginner needs help choosing tools and resources. 6 years 7 months ago #35283

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I would recommend NOT buying any tools now. As for fertilizer.. I am thinking a generic fertiliser for green plants as sold by any store. Use at recommended dose.

First, focus on keeping this plant healthy and alive. Come spring (Assuming you are now headed to fall too) you can start pruning and wiring. But first lesson: Keep the plant alive and healthy. Reality here shows that this is a dificult task for most.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: