Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Tool Brands and Tool Material 7 years 10 months ago #22655

• JoshSiegel
  • JoshSiegel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
I'm currently in the process of buying a starter kit for bonsai, the problem is if I want a nice cheap set, its low quality(I get what I pay for and can't find a nice kit). I have a budget of under $150 and need the basics, a wire cutter, concave cutter and shears(maybe others). Does anyone recommend a good brand and/or tool kit(or individual tools)? Links would be helpful.
Thanks in advance!
~Josh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tool Brands and Tool Material 7 years 10 months ago #22656

• parker
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 17
I would first recommend not spending the money on the wire cutters. get a good pair relatively inexpensive from the hardware store that are not associated with Bonsai. The word "Bonsai" attached to a pair of wire cutters means more expensive. Spend that money on the items that actually cut the trees. The tree will appreciate the smooth cut. The wire isn't complaining from the recycle bin about how it was cut.

Tool Brands and Tool Material 7 years 10 months ago #22657

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Not sure I agree with Parker. The cutters that you use for bonsai have a rounded tip, and long handles with ver small beak, creates in a way to be able to reach inside a dense canopy, and avoid danading the bark. I have found cheapo pliers to be a lot harder to handle on trees.

As for a cheap set.. If you can not find these 3 for under 150K I think you are not looking in the right places. If I look at a regular dealer in the area, prices start at about 24E, say 30USD. I would say.. Quality depends on how you handle them. If you plan to work a lot of trees, a more expensive set may be needed. But if it is a hobby.. The cheaper cutters work fine. Just keep them sharpened and use them as intended. www.bonsai.de/shop/pliers-c-15_498.htm

Tool Brands and Tool Material 7 years 10 months ago #22659

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128
I used hardware pliers for six years and had no major issues (except for cutting larger copper wire). Then I bought bonsai wire cutters & a big difference was shown. The major cutting power of any wire cutter is nearest the pivot joint. The further out you go, the more force you have to put into it. The short beak and long handles of bonsai wire cutters allow for more leverage - just like bolt cutters. They cut through large & small wire without much force, which in turn means less chance of damaging the tree. Several times I watched wire twist & cut into bark as I used both hands to cut with hardware pliers. No issue with proper cutters.

If you need to go on the cheap, hardware pliers will do just fine. You can always upgrade later. I wouldn't put it on the list of first essentials, but would definitely put them on the second round.

Tool Brands and Tool Material 7 years 10 months ago #22666

• doddsy
  • Thanks received: 16
Try jintianbonsai on Ebay, iv'e bought a few of there stainless steel tools and found them to be excellent. As long as your happy to wait a couple of weeks for them to turn up.

• Page: