Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

First tools 7 years 1 month ago #29000

• Zac__50
  • Zac__50's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi, I am lookin to purchase my first set of tools. I was looking at these ones: www.ebay.ca/itm/Bonsai-Tool-Set-Carbon-S...%26sd%3D310957000558
I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First tools 7 years 1 month ago #29001

• Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 70
Well, you get what you paid for. That's probably the best advice. My first tool (good set of shears) cost $39.99. If you are just starting you will more than likely not even use half of those your first year.

First tools 7 years 1 month ago #29006

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101
Don't buy tools that you'll never use.
Get good shears and a concave cutter, you won't need anything else for years.

First tools 7 years 1 month ago #29008

• Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 70
If you are in the United States check out www.stonelantern.com . My first set came from them (bought them 1-2 tools at a time). They are still great and I have had them a year. The brand name is Roshi and they have high carbon steel and stainless steel. High carbon steel requires a little extra care in the way of cleaning and oil but they stay sharper longer. Stainless Steel is very easy to clean and you won't have to worry about rust but you will need to sharpen them more often than Carbon steel.

First tools 7 years 1 month ago #29020

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Tools are only as good as the person using them. Personally, I feel that you cannot go too wrong in cheaper tools, if you do not do a lot. However, once you have 10, 20, 30 trees, you will be demanding more performance of your tools. As I do not know what you are working on, I cannot tell what you need. In any situation.. If you buy inexpensive light tools, you will find they bend more easily, the beaks might misaling after a bit of work etc. So you have to be more carefull of how you use the tools. It does not mean the tool is not good. It means it is not built to endure the same abuse that some professionals want to put on their tools.

As an example: When I started, I was given a box of old tools. The first thing I did was bend one of the scissors. I tries to cut a 1cm branch with scissors meant for cutting leaves and twigs. I bent it back. It is still a bit warped, but since then I use it for pruning roots. I now know it is not strong, and has not bend again.

If you are considering growing your tools one at a time, have a look at one of my articles about which tools to get, and why: www.growingbonsai.net/which-tools-do-i-need/

• Page: