Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Winter for my GG Ficus (ggf) 6 years 5 months ago #36391

• forrest
  • forrest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
hello everyone,
i've read( many topics, thanks AUK !! ) and subscribed\watched Oscars video on the care of ficus. i need some advice for winter care. i've had this ggf for 9 mos.it's been in a well lit area ,it's on a 'lazy susan' i made so u can rotate during the the day to insure the ggf gets equal light 360 degrees..it's a semi large bonsai. inside apt. temp is 68-70 degrees F.
i use a moisture meter to check at all 4 corners of the pot @ a 45 degree insert angle to the root ball. (see attached)
1. i use a fish seaweed fert that states to fert every week. 2-3-1(see attached)
2. when the moisture gets low, of course,i water it from the canopy down, twice you insure a full soaking. then i fert
a. will the cold water from my outdoor hose (~50 degrees F ) be ok? or will the cold water kill it ?
b. or should i use warmer water from my sink, so the water temp is ~ 70 degrees F
3. i keep the humidity tray wet and mist the ggf everyday
4. is there any recommendations for different liquid water mix fert for the winter ? should i use a 4-4-4 ?l
Anyway, it's doing well so far...but this is the first winter for me to make it through.
Any input would be much appreciated !!!!!
Please see the attached pics, some may state too many pics....

Thanx in advance,

Forrest

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Winter for my GG Ficus (ggf) 6 years 5 months ago #36393

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

i've read( many topics, thanks AUK !! )

Errm... why me? What did I do this time? :D

Thanks for the pictures. Nice to see bonsai once in a while on this forum.

I am not too familiar with ficus or other indoor bonsai (I do assume you are keeping it indoors?).
I do not use water meters - but I guess it won't hurt. I do not think humidity trays really help. Watering regime sounds fine to me, though I probably would not use water from my garden hose, guessing the difference in temperature will be quite big.

I think you can reduce / fertilizing in winter - provided it is resting / not actively growing.

Other than that - your tree looks healthy, so continue what you're doing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: forrest

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Winter for my GG Ficus (ggf) 6 years 5 months ago #36400

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102
Nice plant!

I would also not use the water from a hose outside. I have a similar fertilizer for my ficus as yours, but not this brand. It works for me.

Humidity trays and misting do not make a difference. Save yourself some time and stop doing it. You can wash the leaves of course once in a while, but misting it everyday does not do anything.

Ive got a metal halogen lamp for the winter, because light through a window in winter is almost nothing. I do keep fertilizing it the same as the growing season does not stop for my ficus even in winter. But not having a lamp is fine, but do not fertilize frequently, as the lack of light and the same amount of fertilizer could make long internodes and weak buds and leaves.

Good luck!

Winter for my GG Ficus (ggf) 6 years 5 months ago #36413

• forrest
thanks AUK, i respect your input , you told me to read re: my GB Juniper post so i did, a lot of good info on this site, so i have and respect your advice.
well, the GGF is indoors right next to my sliding door so it gets good lighting...
again, i respect your advice....i was just too impatient regarding input when i posted some questions re: my green ball juniper.
thanks for the compliment on my GGF.

Winter for my GG Ficus (ggf) 6 years 5 months ago #36414

• forrest
should i give my GGF a few hours of afternoon sun outside,
i'll rotate it so the entire tree so it receives the same amount of sun..
any input would be much appreciated !!!
btw, the pics don't do justice, the tree is ~25" tall, from the base of the main trunk, i haven't measured the OD at its largest point,
i need a second pair of hands to do that...it's probably > than 53" though.
everyone, have a great evening !!!

Winter for my GG Ficus (ggf) 6 years 5 months ago #36418

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102
The following links might help you. At least they helped me a lot with my ficus:

www.evergreengardenworks.com/indoors.htm

www.bonsaihunk.us/ficusforum/FicusTechniques.html

Winter for my GG Ficus (ggf) 6 years 5 months ago #36430

• defra
  • Thanks received: 5
they dont like to be moved around
when i put my tigerbark ficus from outside to inside it will drop some leaves because of the move
meaning i could imagine if you keep moving it it will get stressed

Winter for my GG Ficus (ggf) 6 years 4 months ago #36453

• forrest
thanks, i'm going to move it, it's chilly out, so i use lukewarm water in my rain water can and water it in the bath tub,
that should work.

Winter for my GG Ficus (ggf) 6 years 4 months ago #36454

• el_cheezer
  • Thanks received: 19
Mine stays outside all winter, but I rarely get temps under 45F. If you REALLY have to put it outside, let it get morning sun, instead of afternoon sun, but like someone said before, leave it inside or outside, but don't move it around.

Ficus move so much energy, that if you move it outside, it will drop its leaves. Not because it is stressed, but because the leaves it grew indoors aren't as efficient for outside lighting. Thing is, a ficus will drop all the leaves and grow new ones, instead of making do with the old ones. If your tree is struggling, or not too healthy, it could stress it out.

Leave it indoors. Don't worry about the humidity, as long as you don't keep it near a vent or fan. Keep it watered, and don't use water that is too cold. My tiger barks and green island do fine with water from the hose in the winter, but I also keep them outside all year. If yours stays inside, you can use tap water, just let it get to room temperature so you don't shock the tree too much.

You'll find that with decent care, ficus are actually hard to kill.

Best of luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983

Winter for my GG Ficus (ggf) 6 years 2 months ago #37304

• Sparks
I am new to Bonsai, and I have GG Ficus about 10 years old. I have digital Rapidtest water teaster, and I am not sure what the readings mean. The sensor goes from 0.0-9.9, so I am not sure when to water. I have tried the Bamboo skewer, and I can't feel the difference. Any ideas on the number scale.

• Page: