Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Ficus watering 8 years 6 months ago #17009

• Swimmer
  • Swimmer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi I was given a Ficus indoor tree a few years ago and had managed to keep it pretty healthy. I repoted it earlier this year and it dropped almost all of its leaves. On advice I moved it out of the sun and sprayed it twice a day. It seemed to work so moved it back into the sun. However growth was almost nil and although green shoots appeared they never developed into leaves. Also every time I water the plant using rain water the leaves turn yellow and drop although there is a spurt of green shoots for a time. I've been watering it around every two weeks. I think this is too little but am worried if I water it any more it will die completely. I use rain water to water the plant from a watering can with a rose. Grateful for any help and advice as the tree has sentimental value to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ficus watering 8 years 6 months ago #17012

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I've been watering it around every two weeks.

Not sure if I understand you correctly. Are you saying you water it once every two weeks? :blink:

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Ficus watering 8 years 6 months ago #17015

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Not sure if I understand you correctly. Are you saying you water it once every two weeks? :blink:

I gues you pinpointed the source of the poor health.

Ficus watering 8 years 6 months ago #17016

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I gues you pinpointed the source of the poor health.

Looks like it.

Also every time I water the plant using rain water the leaves turn yellow and drop although there is a spurt of green shoots for a time

This plant is being tortured. Not getting any water for 2 weeks, trying to hold on to live. Finally getting some water and trying to grow new leaves, but than again doesn't get any water for 2 weeks... poor thing.

Ficus watering 8 years 6 months ago #17020

• Swimmer
Thanks for your help. Feeling suitably chastised. I'm not sure how I've managed to keep it alive this long! My only defence is that I'm a learner.

Ficus watering 8 years 6 months ago #17023

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Aren't we all learners :)

I think it's not a good idea to suddenly start giving it lots of water... the soil and the plant may not handle that well.
Do you have a photo?

Ficus watering 8 years 6 months ago #17037

• Swimmer
Here are 3 photographs I've taken. I gave the tree a good watering and although some leaves have turned a little yellow there are some green shoots. I was thinking of watering every 2-3 days if the soil looks a dry. I've not soaked it just watered from a can until it runs out of the drain holes.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Ficus watering 8 years 6 months ago #17044

• Swimmer
I forgot to add that 24 hours after watering the leaves are turning yellow. This normally precedes them dropping. Will that just be the result of the shock of me watering the tree?

Ficus watering 8 years 6 months ago #17046

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Watering plants in the coarse substrate that you have here is a bit different from normal potting soil. It hardly spreads the water in the substrate. So in order to get the whole rootbal moist, you need to use a watering can with a spray nozzle thingy. All the surface needs to b watered.

I have my ficus (still) outside in the gardem (Except for one I defoliated). They get rained upon every few days. THey do no tmind a lot of watering. THey do dislike continuous water-soaked roots. Water more frequently, give the tree more light (Late afternoon sun only untill there is a healthy crown of leaves). It should recover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swimmer

Ficus watering 8 years 6 months ago #17049

• Swimmer
Thanks very much for you're help I'll follow the guide lines. I'm really glad I found this forum a knowledgeable helpful group.

• Page: