Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Chopsticks gathering mould 8 years 1 month ago #19518

• spaceboy_psy
  • spaceboy_psy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all! I decided to use the chopstick method as I begin to get the hang of watering my bonsai plants (also rolled it out to my other house plants while I was at it!) and I'm loving it. EXCEPT that every single one gathers mould. Sometimes light and fluffy, sometimes little specks of blue. At first I thought it must be because they were old disposable chopsticks taken from my kitchen drawer, which had probably been used to eat with in the past. But then I bought a pack of brand new disposable chopsticks, and every single one quickly had mould growing on it. They're in an assortment of plants, and it makes no difference whether the plant is being watered frequently or infrequently, there's always a bit of mould clinging to the stick beneath or on the surface of the soil. Most plants are potted in cat litter, gravel and a little compost, and seem to like it. The mould doesn't seem to be spreading into the soil. So I'm hoping/expecting that the answer is: it's fine, it won't spread if the plant is healthy and watered correctly. But wanted to check to be sure! Maybe I should be using slightly less porous chopsticks or something??

Thanks for any help or reassurance you can offer :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chopsticks gathering mould 8 years 1 month ago #19519

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

But then I bought a pack of brand new disposable chopsticks, and every single one quickly had mould growing on it. They're in an assortment of plants

They are IN an assortment of plants? Permanently? Seriously?

Chopsticks gathering mould 8 years 1 month ago #19520

• spaceboy_psy
... yes...? As in, in the soil, about 2/3 of the way between the plant and the edge of the pot, so as not to damage the roots. Is that not correct? *meek and embarrassed*

Chopsticks gathering mould 8 years 1 month ago #19521

• Enaisio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 67
Youre supposed to dip them in the soil just when you want to check if the soil is still moist , you leave them in for about 5 seconds and if they come out wet that means the soil is wet , there is no use in having them permanentlt in the soil . As for the mold , its just wood if you keep it wet at all times it will just create mold .
You must have really misunderstood the chopstick technique .
Regards
Nico

Chopsticks gathering mould 8 years 1 month ago #19522

• spaceboy_psy
yes, evidently! Well, I'm glad I asked then, thanks very much for clearing that up!

Chopsticks gathering mould 7 years 11 months ago #20203

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

They're in an assortment of plants, and it makes no difference whether the plant is being watered frequently or infrequently, there's always a bit of mould clinging to the stick beneath or on the surface of the soil. Most plants are potted in cat litter, gravel and a little compost, and seem to like it.

and why did yuo post this?

• Page: