Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

When to start watering and feeding 7 years 11 months ago #20681

• homi576
  • homi576's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hay everyone

I have had my Chinese elm for about 3 days now, I am wondering how long I should let it adjust to its new environment before it starts a watering/feeding regime? It does look a little stressed at the moment, have a few leaves turning yellow, a couple are dead I think (one or two leaves with holes with brown outline) so I don't want to cause any harm to it whilst its adjusting.

I have it positioned on a windows sill which gets extremely good light all day round, I also tend to keep the window open a small amount for it and when it gets a bit dry in here I have a miniature USB humidifier which I switch on a place next to the tree so I think the environment is good at the moment.

Also the fertilizer I have instructs to add 5ml to 1L of water feeding once a week. Now this might make some people laugh if I'm wrong but would I use the entire 1L of fertilized water to feed the plant in one go? The venue I got the tree from also stated that the plant should be submerged in water up to the rim of the dish once a week, is this correct because I have never bathed a tree before lol.

I know there's a lot of information out there about care and do's and dont's but I have more confidence in hearing things directly for experienced people and some information seems to contradict itself from one source to another, so I apologies if these questions are asked a lot.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When to start watering and feeding 7 years 11 months ago #20686

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
First it does not belong in a house. Get it outside where it should be. Water when it needs to be watered, check it every day and water when almost dry. Do not submerge it in water, and no do not use all 1ltr. Every week is too often, every 2 weeks would be better

When to start watering and feeding 7 years 11 months ago #20692

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Don't simply put your tree outside. If temperatures are low the tree may not be used to it. Chinese Elms can be kept indoors, but it depends on what the plant is used to.

For fertilizing, follow the instructions on the package. If it says once weekly, do it once weekly. Do not use the whole liter, just give the plant the amount of water it needs.

• Page: