The forum is in read only mode.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Self-watering pots 6 years 10 months ago #33862

• LaineB
  • LaineB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all.

I'm new to this forum and couldn't find a string on this topic, so if there is one, please just direct me there.

I successfully grew bonsai when I lived in the US. I recently retired to Portugal and am in a quandary. I live in an apartment with a small veranda. Putting in an irrigation system isn't a real option but travel takes me away from home for many weeks. I started using self-watering pots for house plants, flowers and herbs. They're easier to manage for a plant-sitter - just refill the reservoir.

I know self-watering pots aren't classic, but I can live with that. I'm so missing the artistic expression I left behind. Has anyone had experience growing bonsai in these types of pots? Thanks

Self-watering pots 6 years 10 months ago #33863

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
How do they work, these selfwatering pots? Can you post a link to the ones you've been using? Thanks and welcome
The following user(s) said Thank You: LaineB

Self-watering pots 6 years 10 months ago #33866

• LaineB
www.lechuza.us/

Clicio, thanks for getting back to me. At risk of being long winded, the water is absorbed from below. I got inspired while visiting Japan, where people were growing trees up to 4 or 5 feet in Japanese self-watering pots. I couldn't tell if plants were repotting into bigger pots every few years or the gardeners were using bonsai techniques to keep the plants contained. I couldn't find a gardener who spoke enough English to discuss.

Self-watering pots 6 years 10 months ago #33867

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

.. I got inspired while visiting Japan, where people were growing trees up to 4 or 5 feet in Japanese self-watering pots. I couldn't find a gardener who spoke enough English to discuss.

English speaking people in Japan is somehow difficult to find...
But I have visited this link:
www.lechuza.us/the-lechuza-sub-irrigatio...sserungs-system.html
And found it very interesting for bonsai. Please post the results after you try, I am curious!
:-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LaineB

Self-watering pots 6 years 10 months ago #33870

• LaineB
Will do. This veranda will be an adventure - 5 to 6 hours of sun. I'm going to try growing camillas up to 4 feet, and some acers of different sizes. We'll see if any thrive.
  • Page: