Bonsai forum

Digging up garden material

• Fransen
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 3

Digging up garden material was created by Fransen

Posted 7 months 2 weeks ago #81405
Not sure it’s in the right category, but anyways: my brother has a farm with a few nice trees that I can and want to dig up beginning of next spring. I read somewhere it might be a good idea to cut the roots in a circle before winter so it can start growing smaller roots before I dig them up next spring. Can’t find it back though.
Is this true and when would be the best time to do so? Or am I maybe already to late?
Thanks in advance for the replies!

Peter
by Fransen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Digging up garden material

Posted 7 months 2 weeks ago #81408
You need to be very good with your horticulture if you dig any trees, otherwise you will lose them. If you want to dig around the tree you can but it is not essential. You can dig anytime from December to February early March. Cut the tap root off, and keep some of the original soil.
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fransen

• Fransen
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Fransen on topic Digging up garden material

Posted 7 months 2 weeks ago #81409
Thanks for the reply. It will just be a couple of field maples and a prunus. I see I did write ‘trees’ but they are not really that big or anything. I chose field maples because they backbud easily. I have pruned them hard in spring, so I won’t have to worry about that come spring.
There’s quite a few nicer looking trees at the farm, but I want to get some practice and experience before I dig them out.
by Fransen

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Digging up garden material

Posted 7 months 2 weeks ago #81413
Use the shovel to cut about a quarter of a circle, then the same about on the other side off the circle, the circle should match the size of a large clay pot the tree will live in a couple of years. Next springcut the other two quarters, but make sure you get a lot if feeder roots.
by Ivan Mann

• Fransen
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 7 months 2 weeks ago #81421
Thanks, hope to let you guys know how it went next year :)
Last Edit:7 months 2 weeks ago by Fransen
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Fransen. Reason: Typing mistake

• ruthagbudu
  • Thanks received: 1

Replied by ruthagbudu on topic Digging up garden material

Posted 4 months 1 week ago #82043
Cutting the roots in a circle, known as root pruning, is indeed a smart move. It encourages the growth of smaller feeder roots, helping the tree adjust better when you eventually transplant it.

For timing, it's generally recommended to do this in late summer to early fall, allowing the tree some time to develop those new roots before the harsh winter. You might not be too late, depending on your local climate. Give it a shot soon if the ground is still workable.
by ruthagbudu

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Digging up garden material

Posted 4 months 1 week ago #82044
If in northern hemisphere, cutting roots now makes absolutely no difference if the tree are to be lifted come spring. Not much root growth from now until colecting time. The thread is 3 month old. Back then it made sence, not now.
by Tropfrog

• Fransen
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 4 months 1 week ago #82045
Thanks for the answers guys. I’m from the Netherlands. We’ve had some frost, but then also my apple seeds started sprouting a few weeks ago lol. I’ll just wait till late winter/early spring and see how it goes. It’ll be a learning project, so even though it’d be a shame if they die, it’s not the end of the world:)
by Fransen

• ruthagbudu
  • Thanks received: 1

Replied by ruthagbudu on topic Digging up garden material

Posted 4 months 1 week ago #82046

Cutting the roots in a circle, known as root pruning, is indeed a smart move. It encourages the growth of smaller feeder roots, helping the tree adjust better when you eventually transplant it.

For timing, it's generally recommended to do this in late summer to early fall, allowing the tree some time to develop those new roots before the harsh winter. You might not be too late, depending on your local climate. Give it a shot soon if the ground is still workable.

And hey, speaking of making things easier on the farm, have you considered a compact tractor for the job ? They're fantastic for various tasks, including digging and transporting trees. I came across compact tractors for sale on Machinery Dealer—they could be a game-changer for your tree-moving plans.
by ruthagbudu

• Fransen
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 4 months 1 week ago #82047
Yeah, my brother has ome of these. But the tree I’ve chosen are not really of the size. They’re young, as I am still learning and I don’t want to ruin an old tree with mistakes haha. So maybe for the future!
by Fransen