• Page:

TOPIC:

Linde -> Tilia platyphyllos 12 years 8 months ago #584

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Weather forecast for my region is rain with moderate summer temperatures for the next few days. So I took the oppertunity to transplant some seedlings.

In front of our house are two massive lindes (Which I decided should be Tilia platyphyllos). They drop thousands of seeds each year. The last two springs I have not cleared out all of the seedlings, resulting in a byunch of 2 and 3 year old saplings. TO my surprise some of them have managed to create 1-2cm thick truncs (Allowing for 25cm tall trees already!). So.. I decided to take a shovel and bring up the area I left uncleared. A total of about 15 saplings were pullen, with variable roots. Some had stron tap-roots. Others may have been hit when cleaning the garden and creates nicers root systems, as their tap root was damaged last year.

Anyway.. I transplanted them to my veggie patch, and will leave them there for at least a year. All tap roots were clipped. All unneeded branches removed. Three serious potential trees (3 year-olds) got their own special place. After clipping the leaves, they now have a few cooler and moist days to recover.

By the way: I have loads of 2-4 year old trees now of different species. If someone is looking for some material.. A bottle of wine & and a trip to my place is all it takes :D

Will post some pictures of the transplants in a bit.

J.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Linde -> Tilia platyphyllos 12 years 8 months ago #585

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
So.. Some shots. Some of the nice trees, and the bunch planted up.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Linde -> Tilia platyphyllos 12 years 8 months ago #599

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 0
Aww, they're so cute! Now I know where you got your picture from! I can't wait to see how these turn out!

Re: Linde -> Tilia platyphyllos 12 years 8 months ago #605

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Cute you say? These are massive storm-defying thick-trunced maniacs! They are solid-rooted, leather-leaved super-heroes. THey are..

Ah well, yeah, they are cute 2-4 year olds :D

Re: Linde -> Tilia platyphyllos 12 years 8 months ago #615

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
:lol: Yep, one day they're hanging in the garden patch, and the next they've been splashed with a mysterious chemical and are off uniting the Avengers and the Justice League.
It almost makes me wonder if there are flying, invisible pots that will make the dirt and tree undetectable... but then, if there were we'd never know! :lol:

Re: Linde -> Tilia platyphyllos 12 years 8 months ago #639

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Hmmm I see some nice bonsais in the future, haha. Let's go fatten up the trunk for the coming years! :)

Re: Linde -> Tilia platyphyllos 12 years 8 months ago #650

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hey J,

These are awesome!!! :cheer: What a mean set of roots on the one in the first photo!...good candidate maybe for a *roots over a rock*? I think you're having just way too much fun with Bonsai. Keep up the great work and sharing those fabulous photos! ;) You are an inspiration. BTW...luv your garden!

Leslie

Re: Linde -> Tilia platyphyllos 12 years 8 months ago #695

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Leslie,

All trees were for starters planted with all roots spread out. After the trees have created a bit of mass, I will decide. But I might take five or so of the smaller ones already at the end of 2012 and place them on a rock; Seehow it goes..

J.

Re: Linde -> Tilia platyphyllos 12 years 8 months ago #717

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Well...I'm going to hop over the back fence this afternoon and come over to your place to take you up on that offer of 2-4 years olds. Got the wine!!! :P
...sigh...juss kiddin'...I'm in Canada, you're in Germany. :( Sure would be fun though to hang out, drink a little wine and talk Bonsai! :lol:
Thanks for all the *inspiration*!

Leslie

Re: Linde -> Tilia platyphyllos 12 years 8 months ago #811

• BassandBonsai
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I agree, Germany isn't exactly an afternoon road trip away when you live in the U.S. Neither is it easy buying wine when you're 16. :dry: Oh well, isn't it a miracle that we can be so far away and yet still look at each other's bonsai? It only means that I can learn unconstrained by where I live! :)

• Page: