Bonsai forum

Colander or regular grow pot

• OrganicTree
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Colander or regular grow pot was created by OrganicTree

Posted 10 months 2 weeks ago #80504
I have seen more and more people use colanders to help the growth phase of their trees.

Does anyone have experience with them and see more improvement with growth? Also, would anyone recommend them over the traditional style of grow pot you can find for cheap if you just want your tree to grow quickly?

I'm in a 4b climate so temperatures can rise to mid to high 90s during the summer. I can foresee that causing the roots to dry out quicker, but I don't know if that risk is mitigated by increased oxygenation for growth and decreased root disease risk.
by OrganicTree

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Colander or regular grow pot

Posted 10 months 2 weeks ago #80511
I grow some trees in pond baskets. Same thing I think. Cannot see any difference In growth speed to those growing in normal pots. The benefits is roots development as those grown in baskets do not grow cirkling roots. That gives a longer time between need for repotting.

Yes, those grown in baskets do dry out faster. But that can easily be compensated for with a more moist holding soil mix.
by Tropfrog

• OrganicTree
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by OrganicTree on topic Colander or regular grow pot

Posted 10 months 2 weeks ago #80512
Thank you. Yes I think those are the same thing. Do you recommend a certain soil to specifically go in there? Regular organic potting mixture?
by OrganicTree

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Colander or regular grow pot

Posted 10 months 2 weeks ago #80513
I never recomend soil mixes as there are so big variations in local climate conditions, exposure, species, pot size, pot type and watering routines. Soil mixes needs to be in balance with all If them.

But yes. In my normal soil mix I have two ingredienses with high moist holding capacity. Bark mulch and molar clay. So in pond baskets I add more of those, but also adding compost.
Last Edit:10 months 2 weeks ago by Tropfrog
Last edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Tropfrog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OrganicTree

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291

Replied by Albas on topic Colander or regular grow pot

Posted 10 months 2 weeks ago #80582
Hello!

There are positive things about the colander, like Tropfrog said it, it kinda of auto-prune the roots the reach the outside it tru the mesh, avoiding long circling roots...

The colander itself doesn't make it grow faster, however there's another method that consist in... Once the roots reach out off the colander mesh, you put it on the ground or on top of another pot, so it can root there and get more space and growth, while keeping a good rootball inside the colander, also making easier when it's finally time to cut the outside roots and start compacting it...
by Albas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fransen