Bonsai forum

Introduce yourself!

• Artmyth
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by Artmyth on topic Re: Introduce yourself!

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1883
Hi,

I just joined the Forum this week, and was invited to post a bit about me. So - I live in Collingwood, Ontario Canada, although I am surrounded by 4b and 5a zones, my little corner is a 5b probably because of moderation of Georgian Bay which is just a skip away.

Ive been growing some pre-bonsai for about 10 years now focusing on native species, such as sugar maple, spruce, balsam, and cedar Eastern white, Thuja occidentalis, and Eastern red Juniperus virginiana, as well as choke cherry Prunus virginiana.

The past two years I have been getting more focused and hope to do more collecting and to start from seed. I have a few japanese maples, japanese blackpine, and lots of Korean Hornbeam started from seed which rane in age from 1 - 4 years old.

Looking forward to meeting and discussing little tree care with you.

cheers
Kerry
by Artmyth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: Introduce yourself!

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1885
Hi Kerry,

Welcome to the forum, neighbour! :lol:
It's so cool to meet someone who lives so close to me here on the forum!

You have a good deal of experience with Bonsai. It's great that you are now growing from seed. Good for you! I'm into rooting cuttings, babying my Ficus Benjamina, and learning constantly about this amazing art.

You can create your own gallery with photos of your trees and seedlings. I'm really looking forward to seeing your collection, following your progressions and sharing with you on the forum. It's great to have you aboard! :cheer:

Chimo,
Leslie
by Leslie

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Re: Introduce yourself!

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #1904
howdy kerry,
great to have you here.hope to see your collection soon
by manofthetrees

• Racek87
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Racek87 on topic Re: Introduce yourself!

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #2392
Hello all,
My name is Jenna and I currently live in Delaware although I'm originally from Michigan which is where I'll be moving back this next month. I'm 24 years old and married with two "children" (aka cats). I just recently got into bonsai. I was looking into different Japanese arts and saw it mentioned. I've been interested in Japanese culture since high school and I find it all interesting. I bought the little kit you can get at bookstores and then really started looking information on it up. Finding this website was awesome, so much useful information on here, and people who are helpful as well. I currently have 4 jack pine seeds planted and I'm expecting an order of Taiwan cherry seeds in a week. Unfortunately my work schedule is such that the only local nursery is closed by the time I get out, although I hope to go this weekend.
My parents are avid gardeners and actually did all their own landscaping at their home, so they should be able to help me at least keep the trees alive :lol: My mom actually was the reason I'm only now getting into any form of gardening...:pinch: too much information. But as I get older I find that she is right about a lot of things. Anyways...I kinda went on a spiel there. Happy to be here. :)
by Racek87

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #2396
Hi Jenna...it's great to meet you! :cheer:

Thanks for sharing your story. If you have any questions about Bonsai, this is the place to ask. We have members here who are only too willing to help whether it be sharing knowledgable advice or sharing links to help you in finding an answer. We vary from beginner to the experienced.

How exciting that you're going out to the nursery this weekend. :woohoo: Hey, if you buy a new plant by all means share some photos, K? You are very fortunate in having two avid gardeners in your parents. Congratulations on your new Bonsai journey. I look forward to sharing with you on the forum. :)
by Leslie

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #2400
howdy jenna,great to have you here...by the way do your cats usually have glowing yellow eyes or is that just during a full moon :lol:
by manofthetrees

• Racek87

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #2402
Haha, no they don't normally have glowing eyes. But Lillith (who's in the picture) has yellow eyes and they seem to reflect the light really well. Munster (the little boy) has more green eyes and they don't glow near as much. If I want to take her picture I can't use the flash at all. But I love that picture. All I can think when I see that is "Ima FIRIN ma Lazers!" (lol cat reference) It's hilarious cause she's actually really well behaved and adorable.
by Racek87

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #2405
awsome i thought that was a photoshop job
by manofthetrees

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #2408
Hey Jenna,
I luv your cats' names...so unique. My cat's name is very ho-hum...Mittens, but then she came with the name so what could I do. She had so many "issues" that I didn't want to add an identitiy crisis on top of it all. Her name doesn't suit her personality at all as she has major attitude! :lol:

I'm curious...how did you come up with your user name?
by Leslie

• Racek87

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #2411
Um...Race was a name that I used when I was little and playing with legos with my brother :blush: ..I kinda liked it and kept it...the k is short for kanohana which is occasionally another username and it got added on to lengthen the name for certain websites..and the 87 is my birth year. I just sort of adopted it as my username...I like it, don't know why.

My cats had different names originally...Munster was Joe but that's my dad and brother and grandfather....etc back eight generations' names...so I changed it and if we were going to change one why not change both? My husband named Lillith cause it can be shortened to Lily...like Lily Munster. (I didn't get it at first, never watched the Munsters).
Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by Racek87
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Racek87.