Bonsai forum

Newbies

• rmullns
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Newbies was created by rmullns

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #12095
I've been a Bonsai lover for a long time now - really just an observer and supporter of my friends that have beautiful trees. I frequent places that sell bonsai and enjoy looking at the specimens. I don't have much in the way of plants but truly enjoy the ones I have and have been lucky that I've only managed to kill one of them, and it hurt because it was a gift. It's a hobby for me and I'll probably have nothing more impressive than what you folks in here call mallsai. Which gets me to my point.

I have noticed that when newbies ask questions in here, post pictures, etc. etc. they are met with much disdain and elitism. It's rediculous to me why anyone would want to chase away someone that has either just received a gift in the form of a mallsai (the chosen insult in this hobby) or when they've been neophyte enough to venture on their own through google and ended up here only to be chased away.

Those of you that consider yourselves to be "Bonsai Masters" might want to try to be a little more considerate and welcoming as these folks try to navigate their way into this art.

And before you say oh, that's the way it is in our culture - I call BS, I'm half Dutch and half German ... my Dutch mother is the sweetest lady you'll ever want to know ... my 'Oma' too ...
by rmullns

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Newbies

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #12096
Wondering who you are referring to now..

I think there would be no-one here on the forum claiming to be a bonsai master, for starters.
Secondly.. I know of 2 Dutch persons. One of them would be me. Also, I am a teacher in intercultural awareness. One of the things I teach our international students at the start of the year is the direct forms of communication the Dutch use. They are very nice, friendly and sweet.

Yet Dutch people do have a way of telling things as they see them, without pampering the person receiving the message. This in itself is not a bad thing (Dutch people would refer to it as being honest).Not sugar-coating in the Netherlands, especially nog compared to say, the US of A. In the end: If you are not willing to learn, why come to a forum. And why say that something is great, when it isn't.

That doesn't mean I don't agree with your overall argument though. I also feel that sometimes responses are too brisk to newcomers. And I think most of the frequent posters on the forum have the habit of being short to new bonsai enthousiast.. Maybe it has to do with the endles repetition of explanations, and the way people get tired woith bad info all around?

In any case.. on my (dutch) website I have just this morning posted an article on exactly this topic, trying to help people avoid the first cold shower..
by leatherback

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Newbies

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #12097
I agree with all you say. How can you tell someone that has a plant that is unsuitable for training for bonsai that it is good when it is not? We would be faiiling if we did. I try not to be too blunt, but it is the same problem each time. Plants bought without thought not knowing what the species is not asking how to look after it. etc.I run a club and we have several novices, and they know that I tell it like it is. I also help them find more suitable material to grow.
You may also notice that I try to encourage them to find and join a club, as well as books because there is no better way to learn if they are serious than with others that have bonsai.
Geoff.
by m5eaygeoff

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Replied by bob on topic Newbies

Posted 9 years 8 months ago #12099
I am not Dutch but I still get what rmullns is getting at, I could say I agree with him i guess some people can be a bit harsh even though they are not meaning to be.
by bob