New Pics

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic New Pics

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13904
Well I was kidding. I started with some large seedlings which I put into small yogurt pots in 1976 It was a warm summer and they did not last long. When I did start again, I bought a decent small tree and as the advice was to keep it inside that is what I did. I soon found out that was wrong and progressed from there. That was 15 years ago now, and 100 trees. I have lost some, and most I know why.
Geoff.
by m5eaygeoff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic New Pics

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13905

alainleon1983 wrote:

Auk wrote: Apart from Bonsai, I'm fascinated by carnivorous plants.

Really? How has it been for you? I mean, you have some specimens alive?

I've always been fascinated by them, and a few years ago I've had a nice collection and they did well for about 2 years.
I've had a period that has been bad for my plants and trees though... I don't have any carnivorous plants anymore.

And if so, even if I know we don´t like to post photos of our plants, would you please post some images of these carnivorous plants? That will be awesome...

Let me try and find 'm....

Oh, and a couple of more things... How do you feed them? A carnivorous plant would need fertilizing too? Where would you find or buy them?

You don't. No, they certainly don't need fertilizing, they live in very poor soil - and are very capable of catching their own 'fertilizer' (seems though you can get better results fertilizing young plants that cannot catch much prey yet).

There are lots of different species and lots of techniques they use to catch prey. The most wellknown are probably the venus flytraps, that snap close when a fly enters the trap. Other plants have pitchers with slippery sides, sun dew with sticky 'tentacles' and far more. Far more species then you might think are more or less carnivorous, like Passion fruit that is able to trap insects on its bracts, which exude a sticky substance that also contains digestive enzymes (though it's currently actually a Proto-carnivorous plant - see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passiflora_foetida ).

I find the plants beautiful, but the not so beautiful ones are still fascinating, like utricularia, a water plant that has vacuum bladders, a hinged door, and a trigger mechanism.

I don't really have plans to start this hobby again - at least not until I have a decent greenhouse.
Last Edit:9 years 4 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Auk.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic New Pics

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13906
Photos...

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit:9 years 4 months ago by Auk

This message has attachments images.

Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Auk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Replied by bob on topic New Pics

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13909
That is amazong auk ;)

You cannot go through any garden centre without seeing a flytrap or sundew in them. I've never seen one of those trumpet ones before in real life, only on the telly :D . It's good to know one has some other interests here ;) .
by bob

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

Replied by alainleon1983 on topic New Pics

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13915

Auk wrote: I don't have any carnivorous plants anymore.

Man, sorry to hear that... By the photos you posted I have to say it is a shame alright. Carnivorous plant are so colorful that your place would have been amazing.

Oh, and a couple of more things... How do you feed them? A carnivorous plant would need fertilizing too? Where would you find or buy them?

Auk wrote: You don't. No, they certainly don't need fertilizing, they live in very poor soil - and are very capable of catching their own 'fertilizer' (seems though you can get better results fertilizing young plants that cannot catch much prey yet).

Yeah, I thought so, but wasn´t sure, hence my question. It certainly seemed strange to me the need of using of fertilizer in these plants

Auk wrote: There are lots of different species and lots of techniques they use to catch prey. The most wellknown are probably the venus flytraps, that snap close when a fly enters the trap. Other plants have pitchers with slippery sides, sun dew with sticky 'tentacles' and far more. Far more species then you might think are more or less carnivorous, like Passion fruit that is able to trap insects on its bracts, which exude a sticky substance that also contains digestive enzymes (though it's currently actually a Proto-carnivorous plant - see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passiflora_foetida ).

Didn´t know that there were that many. Actually I was thinking as you said in the flytraps specimen indeed. And the Passion Fruit wouldn´t occur to me at all. I really enjoyed those pictures. This one has become a very interesting thread.
Last Edit:9 years 4 months ago by alainleon1983
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by alainleon1983.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic New Pics

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13972
seems nobody is willing to share. as i am travelling i have to make do with previous posts although i do not rank pro in bonsai..

recent..
www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/progressions/...6-euro-ficus-project

something about roots www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/advanced-tech...i-on-youngsters#8748

an olive www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/progressions/...at-got-smaller#11656 needing a post summer pic

and there are many more project that need updates but can be found.

when i am home i will try to find some of my longer lived projects..
by leatherback

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic New Pics

Posted 9 years 4 months ago #13973
you should drop by my place. i have a range of non tropicals next to one of our ponds in the garden!
by leatherback